Friday, December 16, 2016

Nate & Laura & How They Met


Act Two, Scene Two

Interior: Bar, the table where Kiyah and Ashley sit taking shots, laughing.  Loud music in the background.

ASHLEY

What happened to Laura and that one guy--

KIYAH

What?!?!

ASHLEY

WHERE DID LAURA GO?

KIYAH

WHAT?!?!

ASHLEY

WHERE IS LAURA AND..

(music stops)

AND THAT ONE...guy...

KIYAH

Oh, wow.  I don't know...

ASHLEY

Who is that guy anyway?

KIYAH

You mean, Nate?

ASHLEY

Nate?

KIYAH

He's the manny for Lucy.

ASHLEY

Manny?

KIYAH

You drunk or something? I told you earlier.  Manny is a male nanny.

ASHLEY

And, that's Nate?

KIYAH

Yeah.

ASHLEY

So....who is Nate?

KIYAH

Sigh.  Yeah, that's what I want to find out but--

ASHLEY

But?

KIYAH

Laura might have beat me to it.

ASHLEY

Why do you say that? I mean, doesn't she have that guy, Scott--

KIYAH

They broke up, like, tonight.

ASHLEY

Oh well, then.  That changes things.  Sorta.

KIYAH

Sorta?

(Laura approaches table, Nate follows her.)

LAURA

(mouthing to Kiyah)

OMG! What the fuck?

CLOSE UP:Kiyah's face looking confused

Nate and Laura sit at the table.

Um, maybe I should buy another round or?

NATE

Yeah, sure. I'm game.

LAURA

Kiyah? Ashley?

KIYAH

Whatever.

LAURA

Huh?

ASHLEY

Sure, sure.  I'd love another.

KIYAH

I think you have had enough already--

ASHLEY

I'm celebrating.  Term well done.

NATE

You in school?

ASHLEY

Yeah, at the college. I'm Ashley by the way.

NATE

What are you studying?

ASHLEY

Film.

NATE

Oh, cool.  Behind the camera or...?

ASHLEY

Yeah.

NATE

You got any projects in the works?

ASHLEY

Yeah, actually, my director should be coming here soon.

(Door opens, blasting cold air in, Samantha stands in the door way.)

Samantha!

SAMANTHA

Hi everyone!

(She walks over to table.)

OMG! You never know what I had to do to get here.  Benjamin was supposed to watch Jacob today, but then reneged on me, said he had to work, which he didn't...he runs the fucking company, right? He can make his own hours!!!  So, in order to have this all important meeting with you, Ashley, I had to call around and around, finally got a hold of my mom to watch the kid.  Damn, that ex of mine!

NATE

You must be Samantha? I've heard a lot about you.

SAMANTHA

Yeah, how? Who are you?

NATE

I'm Nate.  I work for Lucy.  My car is in the shop with--

SAMANTHA

Oh, right, right.  So, you have heard a lot about me---

NATE

Well, not that much.

SAMANTHA

Uh huh.

LAURA

Nate's good people.  You can trust him.

(Kiyah glares at Laura, Laura shrugs.)

SAMANTHA

Okay, then, if you say.  I need a drink.

LAURA

I was just about to buy a round.  What do you want?

SAMANTHA

Uh, rum and coke would be fine.

(Laura summons bartender to table.)

(Samantha sits at table.)

LAURA

Rum and cokes all around please.

BARTENDER

Would that be all?

LAURA

For now.

BARTENDER

Thanks.

(Bartender exits.)

Nate

So, Ashley was telling me that you are a director--

SAMANTHA

Yeah.

NATE

And you guys have a project--

SAMANTHA

That's right.

NATE

I've always wanted to do film.  I'd love to hear more about that, help out, you know.

SAMANTHA

Yeah? You know I'm gonna be needing some actors--

NATE

Really?

SAMANTHA

Ever done any acting?

NATE

Some, not a lot.

SAMANTHA

Well, we should meet up, have you read for me.  And, you know what, Laura, you should come in too.  I'm in need of an actress for a part. Actually...yeah, let's arrange a time for you two to come in and audition, okay?

LAURA

Wow, of course, thanks!

SAMANTHA

No problem!

KIYAH

Convenient.

SAMANTHA AND LAURA

What?

KIYAH

Nothing.

(Kiyah picks up her phone, starts typing.)

NATE

So, what is the project anyway?

ASHLEY

Samantha's going to shoot and direct a web-series show I wrote.

NATE

Yeah, what's it about? What's it called?

ASHLEY

Still working on the title right now.  But, its about a young girl in her twenties trying to make her way in the world and then she meets this guy...

NATE

Wow, cool.  I can't wait to read it.

ASHLEY

I think you'd be great for the part!!

(Laura's cell phone buzzes. She picks it up.)

CLOSE UP:Laura's phone, text message from Kiyah: What do you think you are doing?

(Laura's types a reply. Kiyah's phone buzzes.)

CLOSE UP:Kiyah's phone, text message from Laura: What's the problem here?

(Kiyah types a reply.  Laura's phone buzzes.)

CLOSE UP: Laura's phone, text message from Kiyah: I totally saw him first, you just broke up with Scott, don't you think its too soon?

CLOSE UP:Laura's face, realization.

(Laura types a reply. Kiyah's phone buzzes.)

CLOSE UP: Kiyah's phone, text message from Laura: It's so not like that, I swear.

NATE

Dude, you guys care to share this two-way conversation with the rest of us or...?

LAURA AND KIYAH

Um, yeah, no.

(They put their phones in their pockets, purses.)

Fade out.


No comments:

Post a Comment