Thursday, December 8, 2016

Nate & Laura & How They Met


ACT ONE, SCENE TWO

Exterior: The Home of Eddie & Lucy Swanson, Evening.

(Tow truck pulls up to front of house, pulling Nate's car. Lucy Swanson hurries from house, dishrag over her t-shirt and old jeans, carrying small child in one arm.  Nate gets out of passenger side of tow truck, he is carrying Doodle.  Tow truck driver gets out of other side, starts unhooking car.)

LUCY

Oh my god, you must be Nate! Looks like you had some difficulties today.

NATE

Oh, this isn't even the half of it.

LUCY

Well, let's get you inside to your room and settled for the night then.  Do you need help paying the tow truck? I can do it, as part of your payment.  Like an advance?

NATE

It's okay, I already took care of it.

LUCY

Oh, okay.

(Tow Truck Driver walks up to them, carrying clipboard.)

TOW TRUCK DRIVER

So, Nate, you're all set.  Just need you to sign here, if you would.

NATE

Sure thing.

(He signs.)

TOW TRUCK DRIVER

And here too please.

NATE

Right, okay.

(He signs in second place.)

TOW TRUCK DRIVER

And, just one more place.

(Nate reads over document. Tow Truck Driver looks over at Lucy.)

Liability issues, right?

LUCY

Oh yeah.

TOW TRUCK DRIVER

Cute kid you got there.

LUCY

This is my youngest, Stephen.

TOW TRUCK DRIVER

Stephen? That's my name! Hello little guy!

LUCY

Wow, quite the coincidence!

(Nate finishes document, hands clipboard back to tow truck driver.)

TOW TRUCK DRIVER

Right then, I'll be off.  Good night.  Best of luck to you, Nate.

NATE

Yeah, thanks.

Fade Into:

Interior: Living room/dining room of Scott and Laura.  Dishes scattered everywhere, dust bunnies across the furniture, Scott and Laura are making out on the couch.  Laura pushes him off of her.

SCOTT

Babe, what's your deal?

LAURA

I'm sorry, I'm just...

SCOTT

Distracted?

LAURA

What?

SCOTT

Its not that dude with the stalled car, is it?

LAURA

The dude with the--

SCOTT

Remember we helped push his car and--

LAURA

Oh, right.  What about him?

SCOTT

You weren't, you know, checking him out or--

LAURA

What? No!!!  I'm just really tired, is all.

SCOTT

What was that guy's name anyway?

LAURA

Um....Nate, I think.

SCOTT

Yeah, that's right, Nate. Kind of a weirdo, don't you think?

LAURA

Why?

SCOTT

Just a vibe I got, I guess...I mean, he yelled something like "my doodle", like he called his car that or something, its like a name for a guy's pe--

LAURA

That's  his dog.

Scott

His dog's his penis?

LAURA

No, what? You are so weird.  No, his dog's name is Doodle.  She's a miniature poodle and she's quite possessive, let me tell you.

SCOTT

How'd you know that?

LAURA

She growled at me when I got in the car---

SCOTT

Why'd you get in the car--

LAURA

To steer!

SCOTT

Oh, right, of course.  So, he was worried about his dog when the car started to roll?

LAURA

Yeah.  You know, you are a little like Doodle--

SCOTT

You saying I have a little doodle?

LAURA

No, no...just like her...

SCOTT

Let me show you my doodle, baby! You won't be calling it little, no you won't.

(She laughs, he pushes her down and they start making out again.)

Fade out:

Interior: Granny Unit behind Swanson house.  Lucy, Eddie, their son, Adam, enter with Nate and Doodle.  Lucy is still carrying Stephen.  Eddie carries Nate's suitcase.

LUCY

So, this is where you will be staying? I know its not much but--

NATE

Oh no, its great!

EDDIE

So, why'd you want to take this job anyway? I mean, a nanny's not exactly a guy's--

NATE

I think the official turn is "manny".

EDDIE

Manny?

NATE

Male Nanny!  And, its works for me now.  I'm grateful for the opportunity, you know, as I get settled here in this new place, new town.

EDDIE

So, what do you want to do, really?

NATE

You know, I taught for awhile, middle school, but I think I'm just looking for a change, gonna figure that out.

EDDIE

I see.

LUCY

We should let you and Doodle get settled. You've had a long trip.

NATE

Thanks.  Good night, Adam and Stephen! I can't wait to get to know you guys!

(Adam hides behind his mom's legs and stares at Doodle.)

You want to pet her? She's really gentle.

(Nate kneels and holds Doodle close to Adam.  Adam cautiously pets Doodle, then pulls his hand away, and looks up at his mom.  She smiles at him.)

LUCY

Thank you, Nate.  We'll talk in the morning.  Get some rest!

NATE

Good night!

(Lucy, Eddie, Adam, and Stephen leave. Lucy is heard off-camera, walking away:

LUCY

I can't believe you, Eddie.  Going after him like that, about not exactly a guy's job.  I mean, really!

WIDE: Nate standing in living room of Granny Unit.  He collapses onto couch, exhausted mentally, physically, emotionally.  Doodle sits next to him on couch, looks at him. Nate smiles at her.

You must be hungry, Doodle? Let's get your dish in and feed you?

Fade out.


No comments:

Post a Comment