Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Nate & Laura & How They Met


Act One, Scene One

Interior: green station wagon, packed full of Nate's belongings, in the passenger seat is his miniature poodle, camera focuses on Nate, driving, from the POV of the poodle, Doodle.

It's late afternoon, early evening, late fall.

The radio is on, playing "Take on me" by Aha.  Nate sings along.

Camera shows highway off-ramp for Ashland, OR.  Nate flicks on his turn signal and begins to exit freeway.  At stop sign, Nate pulls out his phone and starts tapping in address into google maps.

NATE

So, Doodle, we're almost to our new home.  Are you excited, Doodlie-Doodlie-Doo? Gonna get to have your own backyard to play in, with the kids, and a new neighborhood of pee-mails to explore.  And no more thinking about Jessica and Francine, that goes for you not just me, right?

(Nate looks over at Doodle, who stares at him.  Nate rubs his dog's head.)

You're the best, Doodles!

(Nate's car stalls.  He starts to start it again, but car won't turn over.)

Shit.  Fuck.  Stay here, Doodle.

(Nate flicks on emergency lights and steps out of car, looking around.  Car behind him starts honking.  He shrugs apologetically.  A car door of two cars down opens.  A girl gets out, she walks towards him quickly.)

LAURA

Car trouble?

NATE

Yeah, won't start.  Piece of crap, need a new one.

(Car honks behind them.)

NATE AND LAURA

Asshole.

(Nate and Laura's eyes meet.  They both laugh.)

LAURA

I'm Laura, by the way.

NATE

Nate.

LAURA

How can I help?

NATE

Can you steer if I push?

LAURA

Yeah, and my boyfriend can help too..

NATE

Boyfriend?

LAURA

He's in the car, I'll go get him, just one minute--

(Laura runs back to car, Nate kicks tire and breathes out.)

NATE

Boyfriend!

(Car honks behind him.  Nate walks over to car, peers in driver side, makes to roll down window.  Male driver, mid-thirties, rolls down window and stares at Nate.)

Look, my car died and we are working at getting it moved.  Its not going to go any faster by you honking so--

DRIVER

I'll wait.

NATE

Well you could---

(Driver rolls up window.)

Offer to help.

(Laura and her boyfriend walk back up.  Her boyfriend is a little overweight, balding, and carries a drink from Wendy's.)

LAURA

Hey, um, Nate, this is my boyfriend, Scott.  Scott, this is Nate.

SCOTT

Car trouble, huh?

NATE

Yeah, can you push?

SCOTT

Yeah, Laura, you steer?

NATE

Don't mind Doodle--

LAURA

Doodle?

(Nate and Laura walk to driver side of Nate's car.)

NATE

My dog, her name is Doodle.  Be careful not to let her out...

LAURA

Oh, she's so cute.  What kind of dog?

NATE

Miniature poodle.  I know not really a dude dog, but she's cool.

(Nate opens door and leans in.)

Doodle, this is Laura, she's helping us out.  You be a good girl for Daddy, okay?

(Nate motions Laura to sit in driver seat.  Laura sits and Doodle growls at her. Laura looks at Nate, questioningly.)

She can be a little jealous sometimes.  Sorry.

SCOTT

(from behind car)

Put it in neutral, okay, baby?

(Laura puts car in neutral, Nate closes door and runs back to Scott. They start pushing car, with Laura steering.  Driver behind moves forward, rolls down the window.)

DRIVER

Get a new car!

NATE

Thanks for everything, ass-wipe!

SCOTT

Laura, don't forget to put the car in park.

(Laura, getting out.)

LAURA

What was that?

(Car starts to roll forward.)

SCOTT

Laura, you stupid...park, put the car in park!

NATE

Oh my god, my doodle!

SCOTT

What the?

(Laura runs over, opens car, and puts car in park and pulls e-break.  Car stops abruptly. Nate collapses against car, breathing hard, then moves over to driver side, checks on Doodle.)

LAURA

I'm so sorry, Nate, I should have---

SCOTT

Not the brightest thing around, my Laura, but she's not bad to look at.

NATE

It's okay, Doodle's okay, Laura, we're okay, we're all okay.

SCOTT

You from out of town? I noticed your license plates?

NATE

Yeah.

SCOTT

Traveling through or staying?

NATE

Moving here.  Just starting a new job tonight.  New life, new adventures!

LAURA

Scott, can you get the car?

(She hands Scott the keys, Scott moves off to move car.)

Welcome to Ashland!

NATE

Thank you, Laura.

LAURA

We're not all like that asshole in the car behind you, I promise you that.

NATE

I can see that.

(Scott drives up behind Nate's car, honks.)

LAURA

(under her breath.)

Shit.

(to Nate.)

Well, we all have our moments.  Do you need any help? Need to call someone? A phone? Something like that?

NATE

I think I got it from here.  Thank you, Laura.

SCOTT

(peering out car window)

Let's go, Laura, I'm hungry!

LAURA

Maybe I'll see you around then, Nate?

NATE

I hope so.

LAURA

And, once again, welcome to Ashland, welcome home.

(She runs off and gets in passenger side of her car, car pulls out, Laura waves at Nate.)

NATE

Home? We shall see about that.

(Nate gets in car and begins dialing.)


No comments:

Post a Comment