Monday, December 12, 2016

Nate & Laura & How They Met



Act one, Scene Four

Interior: Auto Repair shop, Benjamin, a heavy set man in greasy work clothes, sits at desk, in the garage, with a car being worked on behind him.  Radio playing in background, he sips from a coffee cup and stares at computer, his cell phone rings,he looks at it, incoming call reads "Samantha", he lets it go to voice-mail.  He looks around, sneaks out a flask from inner coat pocket, opens it, pours liquid into coffee cup, sticks flask back in his coat pocket, stirs coffee with greasy finger, sucks on finger, then sips his drink.  He gives a satisfied grin.

Enter: Nate.

NATE

Um, hi, I'm new in town and my new, um, boss recommended this place so--

BENJAMIN

You got car troubles?

NATE

Yeah.  Just died when I came into town last night.  Had that car for years and then as soon as I got here...

BENJAMIN

That sucks, man.

NATE

Yeah, but it seems, like,I don't know symbolic or something, right?

BENJAMIN

I wouldn't know.

NATE

Yeah.

BENJAMIN

So, you want to bring it in or something?

NATE

Yeah.  My dad said he could cover any expenses.  So, yeah, I can get it towed here and...

BENJAMIN

I got some time this afternoon, say 2:00 pm.

NATE

Awesome. Do you know where I can get a tow-truck?

BENJAMIN

We got that service here.  What's your address?

NATE

Um...hold on...

(pulls out phone.)

I just moved there, like, last night, not memorized or anything yet.

(Benjamin stares at him.)

Right, okay...its 1122 Pine Street.

BENJAMIN

Got it.  So, I'll have my guy there at about 1:30?

NATE

Sounds good.

Exterior: Nate walking out of auto repair shop.

POV: Nate sees Scott and Laura's car pulled up across the street.  Laura gets out angrily, starts walking down the street.  Scott opens driver side door, stands and stares at her.

Nate waves at Laura to get her attention.

SCOTT

Laura, get back here!!

LAURA

No, we're through.  I've had enough--

Scott runs down the street and grabs her by the arm, pulls her back toward car.

SCOTT

Just get in the car.

Scott pushes her towards passenger side, into street. Laura whimpers, opens door, gets in.

CLOSE UP:Nate's reaction shot.

NATE

Fuck.

Nate's phone rings in his pocket, ring tone, Liz Phair's "Why can't I" plays.

Nate pulls phone, looks at it.

Close up: ON phone Incoming call reads "Jessica"

Nate stares at, sighs, answers.

NATE

Yeah, hi, Jessica.

JESSICA

Hi.

NATE

What's up?

JESSICA

I just wanted to check in, see how the move went--

NATE

Yeah, just getting things settled.

Pov: Nate looks across the street to Scott and Laura's car, idling.

CLOSE UP: Nate's face, thinking about what he saw with Scott and Laura.

JESSICA

Yeah? So...Nate, are you there?

NATE

Oh, yeah, sorry, just a lot on my mind.

JESSICA

Nate, I...I...miss you...

NATE

...Really? Well, maybe you should have thought of that before jumping in the sack with---

JESSICA

I told you it was a mistake--

NATE

Oh, yeah, right.

JESSICA

Look, maybe I can come to visit and we can--

Nate

Yeah, whatever, Jess, I got to go.  Things to do, really busy here.

JESSICA

I'm sorry, Nate, I really am.

NATE

Sure.

(He hangs up.)

POV: Nate watches as Scott and Laura's car drives off.

No comments:

Post a Comment