Thursday, December 29, 2016

Nate & Laura & How They Met


Act Two, Scene Two

(Exterior: Late at night, low income apartment complex.  Kiyah's car pulls into the parking lot.)

(Interior: Kiyah's car, Laura sits in the passenger side.)

KIYAH

So, you know what to get?

LAURA

Yeah, just some toiletries, some clothes, my pajamas.  I can get the rest later or whatever.

KIYAH

What do you need me to do?

LAURA

Just have my back.

KIYAH

You got it.

(Exterior: entrance to front door of Scott and Laura's apartment.  Kiyah and Laura approach door. Laura takes out keys, tries door, its unlocked.  Laura turns and looks at Kiyah, raises eyebrows. _

Let's do this.

(Kiyah and Laura enter apartment.)

(Interior: The living room of Scott and Laura's apartment.  Scott sits on couch, watching TV, beer bottle on coffee table.  Food items from Carl's Junior scattered over the table. TV blares loudly.)

SCOTT

So, you home now, Laura?

Laura

I'm not staying...

Scott

What?

LAURA

I'm not...

Scott

What?

LAURA

I'm not...

SCOTT

What?

LAURA

Turn off the TV.

Scott

I can't hear you.

Laura

Turn off the TV, Scott.

Scott

What? I can't hear--

(Kiyah walks over, grabs remote, turns off TV, room is suddenly silent.)

you.

Laura

I'm not staying, Scott.  I'm leaving...you.  Kiyah and I just came by to get some of my stuff.

(Scott says nothing, reaches for remote that Kiyah placed on coffee table.)

Say something.

(Scott turns TV on, turns up sound.)

(Kiyah moves to Laura and they exit to bedroom, start packing.)

(Interior: Scott and Laura's bedroom.)

LAURA

What the fuck?

KIYAH

Look, you are better off without him.  Let's just get what you need and go.

LAURA

What about the rest?

KIYAH

Figure that out later.

LAURA

Right.

(She starts to cry.)

KIYAH

Now, don't start that, please.  Come on, focus.

LAURA

I just don't know what to take.

KIYAH

As many clothes as possible, toiletries, favorite book, stuffed animal...

LAURA

Right, okay?

(Interior: Scott and Laura's living room. Scott watches TV.  Laura and Kiyah enter.)

LAURA

Scott? Scott? Scott?

(Kiyah walks over and grabs remote, shuts off TV.)

SCOTT

Yeah, what?

LAURA

I'm going now...

SCOTT

And?

LAURA

Look, you know, I'm the only one that really understands you--

SCOTT

Right, yeah, sure.

(Scott grabs remote from Kiyah, turns on TV loudly.)

(Kiyah looks at Laura, Laura shrugs, picks up bag and walks towards door.)

(CLOSE UP: Door closing behind Kiyah.)

(Exterior: Apartment building of Scott and Laura.)

(Kiyah and Laura walking to Kiyah's car.)

KIYAH

Congratulations, Laura!

LAURA

What the hell does that mean?

KIYAH

You left him!  You did it!

LAURA

Now what?

KIYAH

One moment at a time, Laura, just one moment at a time.  You've got this.

LAURA

Thanks, Kiyah.  Really, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment