Friday, December 30, 2016

Nate & Laura & How They Met



Act Two, Scene Three

Exterior: Kiyah's house, a small three bedroom house.  Kiyah's car pulls into driveway, parks.  Kiyah and Laura get out of car, walk up to front door, unlock door, enter house.

Interior: Kiyah's living room, Laura and Kiyah enter, set bags down, Kiyah flops down in couch, Laura looks around, nervously.

KIYAH

Well, come on, you can relax now.

LAURA

I don't know, this is all...

KIYAH

Its not like you haven't been here before--

LAURA

Not like this.

KIYAH

Yeah, yeah.  Well, this is it, hon, this is your new home!

LAURA

My new home? My new home!

(She starts to cry.)

My new home...

KIYAH

(Kiyah crosses to Laura.)

No, no, none of that now.  Look, what you need first is a nice hot shower, get the Scott stink off of you, then as much Ben & Jerry's as you can take, cheesy chick flicks until you pass out, and red wine!!  Deal? Come on, look at me, say it, say it...Deal? Deal?

LAURA

Deal.

KIYAH

Good girl.  Now off with you.  You know where the bathroom is.  I'll put your stuff in the study, or where that crazy asshole ex of mine left all HIS stuff when I kicked him out!  Bastard.  We should sell it.

LAURA

What?

KIYAH

We should sell his shit on ebay! Yeah, that's what we can do tonight too!  You got anything from your ex we can hawk?

LAURA

No, I didn't think to--

KIYAH

Well, when we go back there to get the rest of what you need, we'll find some stuff then...

LAURA

Well, I don't know...

KIYAH

Off with you, shower now!  I'll get the ice cream, brownies, and wine ready!!!

Interior: Shower running, Laura leans against wall, water falls over her, she closes her eyes, sobs

Exterior: Kitchen, youtube in the background playing "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", Kiyah sings along as she pours the wine.  Her phone buzzes, a text from Samantha. It reads: Just got home, totally can't handle Benjamin right now, angry drunk. Can I crash there? Jacob's with his grandparents.

Kiyah types back, it reads: Yeah, of course, hon. Laura's here, just moved in, we're totally doing the girl's night.

Samantha's text: Awesome! See you soon!

Kiyah returns to singing with the music.

Laura walks into kitchen.  She's wearing pajamas, towel drying her hair.

KIYAH

There you are, and there you go!

Kiyah places wine glass in front of Laura.

LAURA

Wow, rum and cokes and now red wine, isn't there a little poem about this?

KIYAH

You mean, like, beer before liquor, no, it says nothing about wine.  And besides, this is a special occasion!

LAURA

How so?

KIYAH

You've been liberated.  No...we've been liberated!

(Both girls raise their glasses.)

KIYAH AND LAURA

To us!

(They sip their wine.)

LAURA

Let's let nothing come between us, okay? Nothing.

KIYAH

Yeah, no guy is worth it!

LAURA

I like that.

KIYAH

Its true.  My teacher in high school used to tell me that all the time.

LAURA

Your teacher in high school? Wait, why?

KIYAH

He was kind of like a dad to me, yeah.

LAURA

Oh, nice.  You still talk to him?

KIYAH

Not so much.  He died.

LAURA

Oh, sorry.

KIYAH

Yeah, no worries.  Come on, let's drink and dance!

(Kiyah dances with wine glass into the living room, turns up music, the girls start dancing together to "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun".)

Enter Samantha.

SAMANTHA

I came at the right time!!!

(She starts dancing with them.)

Song ends.

KIYAH

Wine in the kitchen, get yourself a glass, Samantha.

SAMANTHA

On it!

LAURA

(scanning through youtube)

What should we listen to now? Oh, I like this one...Torn, by Natalie Imbruglia...

KIYAH

Hells no!

LAURA

Why? It's how I feel--

KIYAH

Exactly why you shouldn't listen to it.  None of that sappy sad shit tonight.  That's for hangovers! For tonight, how about...Spice Girls!

(Samantha entering living room with wine bottle and wine glass.)

SAMANTHA

Girl power!!!

(Wannabe starts playing in the background. The girls dance together happily. Song ends.)

LAURA

Ah, I don't feel so good. I need to sit for a minute.

(They all sit around on couch, on the floor, etc.)

SAMANTHA

Now what?

LAURA

Ben & Jerry's Stat!

KIYAH

It's time for some eBay fun, baby!

SAMANTHA

How do you mean?

KIYAH

Jordan's left his stuff here for like over a month, its mine now, and I'm gonna sell it.  Yeah, bitch.

SAMANTHA

Nice!

(Kiyah exits into study, returns with a cardboard box and a laptop.)

KIYAH

Yeah, this is just one of his boxes.  And his computer, I'm keeping it, but let's see what gems we can find!

(She sits and the girls gather around her, start pulling items out, examining them, and Kiyah turns on laptop.  Samantha's cell phone rings.  She looks at it.)

SAMANTHA

Fuck, Benjamin!

KIYAH

Put it on speaker!

SAMANTHA

Oh, all right, but he's pretty drunk so I'm warning you...

(Samantha sets phone on coffee table, puts it on speaker.)

BENJAMIN

Listen, Bitch, don't bother coming home if you don't even have the decency to tell me where you are going.  You are so irresponsible, I'm not even sure how you became a mom, I mean, you are so incapable of being a mom, you are more a kid than he is...when are you going to grow up and be an adult...stop with this artsy fartsy life you think you have, stop living this stupid fairy-tale, its never gonna happen for you, you no talent bitch, get over it, get over yourself--

(Samantha turns phone off.)

SAMANTHA

Yeah, I warned you.

KIYAH

You did, hon.  Look, I got another room, its teeny-tiny, but its yours if you want it, at least, for awhile.

LAURA

I don't really need that big study, if you and Jacob want it, and I can take the smaller one.

SAMANTHA

Thanks, guys, really, I owe you. I don't know where I would be without you.

LAURA

To us!

(She raises her bowl of Ben & Jerry's ice cream!)

SAMANTHA

Girls rule, boys on the side!

(She raises her wine glass.)

KIYAH

No guy is worth it!

SAMANTHA AND LAURA

No guy is worth it!

Fade out.


No comments:

Post a Comment