Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Girl Who Waited: Amy Pond

Ah, yes, you may be tired of my goings-on about the spiritual connections to Doctor Who, but humor me once more.

Today's edition is about waiting and I turn our attention to "the girl who waited", or as we know her Amy Pond, played by the actress, Karen Gillam. 

The Doctor first arrived in Amy's life, due to her calling out to a 'savior', based on her fears of the crack in her wall.  What that may signify, you decide, but I think our general fears of life's trials and even, perhaps, our eternal destiny.

He came into her life, observed the crack and the danger therein, and then vanished from her life for a period of 12 years (about).  During that time, she waited, first willingly, and then with a growing resentment.  When he returned (him thinking it was only the 5 minutes he promised), she tested him and eventually found him worthy of the wait because of his awareness of his role of her 'savior'.  Don't we often test the Lord's promises and always find them true?

The point of this, say, rambling is to trust in the Lord's promises of salvation, not just eternally, but for our present tribulations and those to come.  He will return both now and in the ages to come, to redeem, to save, and to live eternally.

And yet, in our present difficulties, we can wait upon his promises, that he will return and that, yes, he is 'an ever present help' in time of troubles.

So, we can say with Amy: "I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined to me, and heard my cry."

Wait upon the Lord, for He is waiting for you to turn to him.  This day, choose whom you shall follow, for as for me, I shall follow the Lord.

He who has ears to hear, let him hear

No comments:

Post a Comment