Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Trying to Make My Way...

Hi! I'm Carol Woolery and I am a 19 year old student at NYU.  I am originally from Climax, Michigan, a very small town, and this is my first experience on my own in a big city!  It's exciting but scary at the same time.  I am also the first of my family to go to college.  There are four kids in my family and I am the oldest.  We aren't a rich family, in no way possible, so basically its up to me to follow my dreams and foot the bill along the way.

So, not only do I take out a lot of loans to pay for college, but I also work nearly full-time to cover the rest, including rent, utilities, food, and other necessities.  Due to this constant schedule of busyness between school and work (and maybe at times some form of social life, okay, not at all), I am very tired during class and very lonely at home.  This makes it very hard for me to focus and understand all the material in class.  So, fearing that I will fail, I take the effort to go to each of my profs, who are very helpful, in fact.  When I get to the last appointment of the day with Professor John (as he likes us to call him), something quite unusual happens.

After that appointment, I find myself sitting in the student union, having a small bite to eat, and soon find myself lapsing into a conversation with some other students.  I tell them about what just happened in Professor John's class and they, horrified, convince me of this wrongfulness and urge me (with much manipulation) to press charges.  I finally feel a sense of power, belonging, and confidence, in short, I no longer feel lonely...I have friends, but at what cost?

Really, I just want understanding...

Carol Woolery is designed from the character, Carol, from the play, Oleanna, by David Mamet, of which I am doing a scene for my acting class.  Ira Rubin, my scene partner, plays the part of John.
The acting class is held at Camelot Theatre in Talent, OR on Monday nights and is taught by Steven Dominguez.

No comments:

Post a Comment