Sunday, July 24, 2016

Cafe-Girl: A Novella


Deborah sat at the table in the restaurant surrounded by her best friend, Mari, across from her and her ex-boyfriend, Brent, who wouldn't leave her alone, by her side. They both bowed their heads and prayed before eating their nachos and cokes. Deborah closed her eyes and patiently waited for them to finish. Once they had opened their eyes, Mari looked straight across at them and asked in a straightforward, inquisitive fashion all her own,

“Are you guys gonna get married?”

At once, Deborah answered “No” while Brent answered “Yes.” There was a long awkward pause as Brent glared over at Deborah who cowered into her coca-cola. Mari looked back and forth between them, apologetically and a bit ashamed for bringing it up. The rest of the meal was spent in silence as they hurriedly ate their meal, unsure of what to say. Off and on, Brent would question her whether she had started up a relationship with that 'coffee boy', the non-christian sinner who worked at the coffee shop she was now frequenting. Deborah again and again said no, which was true, but denied even liking him, even as she reached into her purse and felt over and over to make sure her cell-phone was on and turned up so she could hear any incoming calls. It had been a whole day since she had given him her phone number but that seemed like an eternity to her. Notably, more out of embarrassment and shyness than any kind of flirtatious ploy, she had not ventured down to the coffee shop that day.

They finished their meal and made their way to her car, where Mari piled in the backseat and Brent in the passenger seat. Deborah drove Mari back to her house in the outskirts of town. Brent berated her all the way, about her spiritual walk with Jesus (what?), her duty to him after three years of relationship (even though she had broken it off last summer), and questioned her repeatedly whether she liked this coffee boy (she continuously denied even as she pined for Matt's phone call).

At Mari's house, they quickly hurried back to her bedroom, saying a quick hello to Mari's room-mate and her children. Mari asked Brent for a massage, and as she laid on the bed, he climbed on top of her to comply, Brent continuing his barrage of insults towards Deborah in hopes she would comply to his wishes of marriage.

When the massage had ended, Deborah's phone rang. She looked down and recognized the unknown caller from earlier that day. Her heart quickened, could it in fact be him? If so, she'd have to ask him why he didn't...Brent tried to snatch the phone from her hand, she held it firm.

“Is that him?” he spat out.

“Uh, no, no,” she responded quickly.

“Let me talk to him,” came Mari's insistent comment, seemingly from far off. Deborah shook her hand and demanded, “no,” sticking her phone deep down in her pocket.

“Let's get you home, Brent,” was all she said and Mari ushered them out the door.

They parked on the hill down the street from Brent's house. The dark of the night emptied itself around her car, shrouded them in secrecy.

“Please, Deborah, tell me,” he insisted in his best seductive whisper. “Do you like him?”

Deborah shook her head, tears springing to her eyes, fighting them back.

“Do you still love me?” he wanted to know again. Deborah stared straight ahead, not sure of how to answer. “Please answer me,” he insisted.

“I need to get home,” was all she could say. “Early day tomorrow.”

“You are going to call him back, aren't you?” Brent demanded.

“I don't know, Brent, I don't know, okay?” was all she could say, hoping he would get out of the car and leave so she could at last be done with him.

“Well, what are you doing tomorrow?” Brent wanted to know, a tinge of hope springing in his heart.

“What?” Deborah seemed confused and then, “Oh, I don't know...”

“You said you had an early day tomorrow,” Brent started. “You going down to the cafe?”

“Oh, no, I, uh, um, have stuff to do around the house, before work next week,” came Deborah's fumbled reply.

“Yeah, okay,” Brent said, grabbing the door handle. “I'll call you.”

He opened the door and let it slam behind him, moving up the steep hill to his house. Deborah started the engine and let the car drift down the hill, slowly making her way home, breathing a sigh of relief. She'd avoided that catastrophe at least for tonight.

At her house, she walked quietly into the back bedroom she rented from the couple upstairs. Sitting on her bed, she pulled out her phone and kicking off her shoes and pulling her legs up on her bed, she pressed “call back” on the number that had called a few hours earlier.

“Hello?” came the familiar warm and friendly voice of her cute coffee boy.

“Hi,” Deborah said, a smile on her face and in her voice.

“Oh, hello there,” he breathed a smile of his own. “How are you?”

“Doing well, yourself?” she really wanted to know.

“All right,” he said. “Doing better now.”

Deborah smiled into the phone. She propped up a pillow, and flipped on the lamp by her bed, then got up and turned off the overhead light in the room. Pressing the phone against the ear, she simultaneously pulled her pants off, letting them fall to the floor and asked,

“So what did you do today?”

“Had to work a double shift,” came Matthew's reply. “Barbara called in sick.”

“Barbara?”

“The girl that works at the cafe,” Matthew explained. “The only one left besides me, although I think Randy is thinking of re-hiring Thomas, at least part time.”

“Thomas?”

“One of my friends, hangs out with me at the cafe, used to work there before me,” Matthew explained. “Sorry about all the confusion and Randy is the owner.”

“Oh I see,” Deborah was thinking. “Is Thomas the one that always wears a tie or...?”

“Yeah,” Matthew laughed. “Except he doesn't ALWAYS wear a tie, only for work. But nice description, I'll tell him you said that.”

They both laughed.

“So tell me about your other, um, friends,” Deborah continued the conversation.

“From the cafe?” Matthew wanted clarification and confirmation.

“Yeah, them,” was all Deborah confirmed.

“Well, there is Shaggy, knew him in high school, James, who I just met, and Ray, and you know Thomas,” Matthew began. “That's pretty much the regulars although there are a few more that come by from time to time.”

“Okay, so which is which?” Deborah asked. “And Shaggy?”

Matthew laughed and began to explain.

“Yeah, Shaggy is the one that looks like Shaggy from Scooby-Doo,” Matthew said. “When you come in tomorrow, you'll notice him, can't miss him. Crazy hippie conspiracy theorist probably at the computer!”

“Oh, so I'm coming in tomorrow, huh?” Deborah teased.

“Well, I hope so,” Matthew admitted.

“Okay then,” Deborah agreed. “So, then there is, um, Ray, and, um, James and they are--”

“Okay, James is the one that always wears all black and Ray is, well, Ray is the other one,” Matthew explained.

“Okay, I got it, I think,” Deborah said. “So, I've got another question for you.”

“So many questions!”

“Sorry,” Deborah relented.

“No, its okay, I just have a few for you, that's all,” Matthew explained. “Go ahead.”

“I got this phone call yesterday after I left the cafe, from an unknown number, but I think it was yours,” Deborah awkwardly began.

“Yeah, you know, I saw a number had been dialed out from my phone,” Matthew quickly interjected. “I don't know what that was about, I mean, maybe it was a butt dial or maybe one of my friends was playing a practical joke or something. Sorry about that.”

“Its okay,” Deborah. “It was just a little weird, I guess.”

“Yea, sorry,” Matthew apologized again.

“Don't worry about it, its fine,” she said again. “So, what are your questions? What do you want to know?”

“Um, let's see I know you just graduated college, so you are one of those transplant types,” Matthew began and then awkwardly sputtered out, “You seeing anyone?”

“Well, not right now, I'm alone in my room,” Deborah joked. Then, she explained, “Not anymore, I was but we broke up last summer. It's totally over.”

And, that was all the information she would give to him about Brent. He didn't need to know anything more about Brent, as far as Deborah was concerned, no matter what Brent wanted or thought, they were over.

“Yeah, okay, good,” Matthew was relieved. “So, where are you from?”

“Well, I grew up in California but I don't like to admit that,” Deborah laughed into the phone. Matthew joined her. The joke around town was how much the townies and the locals hated Californians, the yuppies that moved into the town and took over completely.

“Well, I won't hold it against you,” Matthew reassured her.

“But you will hold yourself against me,” Deborah inwardly cringed at her forwardness and Matthew laughed,

“If you insist,” he smiled into the phone. “So, you coming into the coffee shop tomorrow?”

“Yeah, I can do that, what time?”

“Well, I'm not working tomorrow,” he began. “So, I thought we could meet and then go for a walk or something, maybe.”

“I'd like that,” Deborah said excitedly.

“How about we meet around 10:30?” he asked hopefully.


“Sounds perfect,” she agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment