Friday, April 17, 2015

Why I'm Personally Glad For The New Gender Definitions

She, Her, Hers.  I'm a Cis-Gender.

What does that mean? Well, for starters, here's the official definition, according to "Queer Dictionary":

A cisgender person is someone who identifies as the gender/sex they were assigned at birth. For example, your birth certificate says female, and you identify as a female woman. 

But what does that mean for me personally, you wonder?

Well, it means that I'm a girl and proud to be one.  I was "born this way".  I like to dress-up, adorn my face with make-up, do my hair, put on pretty dresses, be treated like a lady, as well as roll-around in the dirt gardening, hiking, biking, or just generally participating in rough and tumble exploration times.  It means I have a maternal streak to me, a creative side, an emotional, sensitive side.  It also means that none of this detracts from my abilities to think critically, logically, and succeed in whatever field I choose.

I mention this now, because I used to be so ashamed of my femininity as if it was a mark of my weakness as a human being, believing in the lie that I was the "poor little defenseless girl-child".  Because of this, I'd try to hide my desire to be a "girl" and, in a sense, butch it up, play it cool, hide my sexuality and self gender-definition in fear that if I didn't I would be taken less seriously.


I now realize that I do not and must not do this for myself or for anyone else.  It won't make things better to not be true to myself.  On the contrary, what I have found is that my quality of living has increased exponentially based on my choice to be real and proud of who I am.

All Woman, It's the way I was born.

This does not mean that I deny or disbelieve another's claim to be transgender or non-gender binary or what have you, in fact, it's an acceptance of that reality and an acknowledgment of that as fact.  Its a way for me to say, I support you as you support me.

So, here it is, loud and proud:

"I'm a Cis-Sister, Hear Me Roar!"

No comments:

Post a Comment