Thursday, September 6, 2012

Choose your own adventure!

So, I recently read a book entitled "A Life That Matters" by my good friend, PK Hallinan.  I highly recommend this book to all seekers and those trying to figure out their calling, how to best used their God-given gifts for His glory, not ours.

In this book, PK describes his decision to become a writer, specifically a children's author, in that he just started calling himself that, to himself and those he met, whether in a work setting or non-professional.  So, without further ado, I would like to announce myself as my calling, what I have wanted to do all my life, but gave up in the forced manipulations of those who thought they knew what was better for me (which ended in me going into debt, argh!) and that of which I believe can use my talents fully for God and for the betterment of the world.

"I am an actress and a writer."

There you go, so I have been going in that strength, through prayer, wisdom, the spirit.  I auditioned for Scrooge, the Musical at a local theatre with the song, "I could have danced all night".  When I attempt to prepare for auditions, I find a piece of which I can relate to the character so that in the time I have to get ready I can find a way to 'become that character', even in a short amount of time.  It helps if the piece, whether song or monologue, somehow connects to something that is going on in my life, at present.

I also have an audition for a band this Saturday, and keep the feelers (rather emails) going out for more...we'll see where this leads.  (I have a fanpage, however I designed it myself, I will post a link below.  A friend is helping me post clips from plays I was in today!)

I have been writing as well, specifically, I like to write plays.  It seems strange that as an early child, without really any knowledge of the construct of plays or screenplays, I was writing in this manner, specifically sitcoms!  So, because of that, I choose that medium because its what comes naturally.  I already have written one play, 'A Seeker's Heart', that has yet to see a production (with hopes that it will soon), which is loosely based on how I met my husband.

Right now, I am working on a play about what goes on backstage during a play; you know, its not the characters off stage, for example, during Working, I wasn't on the street, earning 100 dollars in twenty minutes during intermission!  Specifically, the play is about the relationships that are formed, both positively and negatively, and how they influence the real life.  I hope to show the realness of the hard knocks of theatre, the dirty side, yet still show how its worth it: show how 'art bleeds into life' and vice versa.  Mainly, its about choices, here's an excerpt from one of the actors who plays "Mr. Rex" onstage, but whose "real name" is Chance:

"Choices! The choices you make in this moment will shape what happens in the next, and the point is, to choose rightly, the path that leads to what you want, need--for happiness, life...to make a difference in someone's life. (beat)  It's all about choices.  (beat)  Make the right one and its a GO!  Make the wrong one--BAM-O!  Like me, I've made choices in my life, some good, some bad, like right now (glances onstage, sighs)  But, all I ever wanted was an opportunity, like my name, Chance.  My personal motto: Give Chance a piece! (winks)"

I share this with you because you too have a choice, each moment, its there.  Before you step, pray, breathe, and then jump...and hope you land well!!!  Even when it goes wrong, remember its a life lesson.  And, in truth, it will all end up for the good of all involved!

In closing, what do you want on your tombstone? (Not the pizza)  PK Hallinan asked this in his book.  I've thought about this and really it boils down to, I want to make a difference in as many people's lives, change the world, make it better.....bring joy to someone's heart, if not one, but many.  God knows!

"Here lies Lia Dugal, She brought a "lite" to our eyes!"

Choose wisely, its your own adventure!

He who has ears to hear, let him hear

No comments:

Post a Comment