Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A fixed moment in time...

Humor me, once more, as I foray into another random connection between Doctor Who and my faith in Christ.  When the Doctor travels, he often speaks of the idea that there are fixed moments in time, as in when he and Donna traveled back to Pompeii, knowing that the destructive volcanic eruption could not be changed or it would alter the entire scope of world history. 

This brings me to my next point: what is the fixed moment in time of our own lives that we would want the Doctor to change?  My mind thinks back to the time of Christ's crucifixation.  What would be the implications if the Doctor somehow rescued Jesus?  In fact, a matter of opinion, this would alter the whole perspective of faith for many, and singularly for me.  Would still our sins be forgiven, our trespasses be wiped out?  And, then, would Christ go willingly with the Doctor? Can you even imagine the conversation between the Doctor and Jesus?  I am sure the correction of mind and heart would come not from our Doctor but instead from the greatest of all physicians.  (Hmm, food for thought?)

Okay, I bring this up because, honestly, I often find myself, looking up and wondering if HE is really out there and if HE would actually come for me, really not thinking of Jesus here, folks, but thinking of The Doctor, which thought then convicts me.  Because of whom is the true savior of the world, who really loves the world....and who is real and who is really coming back and was, and is, and is to come...

So, yes, if the Doctor was real, I'd want him to come back and, yes, I would go traveling with him.  But, still knowing, as we see from the 'endless end of the world' finales, he never quite conquers the world's problems, we, humans, are always getting ourselves once again into a jam.  But, as written in Hebrews, Christ conquered sin and death once and for all and with our hearts on him, we need not fear the tribulation to come!

All this to say, I would find myself interested if The Doctor took me back to the time of Christ's crucifixation, but would I want anything to change.  Perhaps, giving the male disciples a piece of my mind (John excluded, of course)!  But, all in all, I would want this moment to be fixed for all time...

But, as I said, I look to the sky above, wondering if the Doctor, or someone of his sort, really exists and if he would really come for me...but then, yes, there is Someone and, yes in fact, He is returning.  So, my thought is, wouldn't it be totally awesome if, as we are looking up, the tardis comes soaring through the sky and startled we are, upon landing, the door opens and out comes....Who? But, Jesus.

"And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give every one according to his work." Revelation 22:12

He who has ears to hear, may he hear...

No comments:

Post a Comment