Sunday, February 6, 2022

Outta The Box

 


Get Outta The Box

All of this successes I have had in my journey as a thriving artist has become reality when I allow myself to think out of the box of normalcy.

So, recently I was talking to a two good friends of mine who are local actors(and so much more) , about their desire to be the working actors they were trained to be, and again, what they believe their calling in life is and has been since they were old enough to toddle about.

I truly love and respect them as well understand the frustration that they have, as I can surely relate, yet due to the tumult of these last few years, my perspective on the matter of pursuing our dreams has shifted.

To be a thriving artist means not that we have our name on the Hollywood walk of fame, a novel on the New York Times bestseller list, art in the highest of galleries, these are all worthy goals and amazing at that, but to thrive is to be and to be is to thrive.  A thriving artist is a way of life, our art can be found in every ounce of our lives, even in the minute and mundane.  

To thrive is to be and to be is to thrive

Throughout these past few years of craziness, I have had the luxury to step back from the rat race to truly prioritize and meditate on my dreams and my values.  From this time of repose, I have developed the ability to hold space in my heart for gratitude and thus realize the gifts of life afforded to me, whether it be minute or major.  

Currently, I consider myself a working actor, model, and artist, yet it may not appear as society dictates.  At present, I am not working as a paid actor in a theatrical or film production, but I am getting paid for what I love to do.  As a gig-worker, I have worked since 2013 as a fine art model for the local university and community college at a rate well above the minimum wage, added to that my paid modeling career has expanded outward to other galleries and photographers throughout my county and state in a fluid fashion unforced in anyway.  In addition, I have worked since 2015 for the local nursing college as a simulated patient, where given a 'script' I improvise the character for the betterment of the students' skills.  Not only am I helping them become the best nurses they can ever be, but I am getting paid to perform and am deepening my abilities as an actor as well, for well above, minimum wage.  

I say this, with no desire to appear as if I am bragging or better than another, but to emphasize that when one allows themselve to open beyond the narrow reach, opportunities become available in ways unseen before but wider and more powerful than once imagined.  Connections are made and as one continues forward, these opportunities keep expanding continuing with each next step taken.

This morning, I talked with an a dear old college chum who is struggling to find his identity within himself and not based on what he does.  In this capitalist society of which is deemed as acceptable, all too often the question after we greet another is "what do you do?" as in the identity of oneself is made by their occupation not on who they are inside.  With my actor friends as in so many, is the struggle not merely to succeed at your calling but are we finding ourselves locked in our identity formed as 'what we do' and not 'who we are'.  The cure, then, is to sit with oneself, in so doing, discover who we truly are without the exterior busyness and applause, and thus to truly thrive within.

All of this successes I have had in my journey as a thriving artist has become reality when  I allow myself to think out of the box of normalcy.

My good friend, Kurk Kasparian, shares:

"If you want something you don't normally have, then you have to do something you don't normally do."



Am I wrong for thinking out the box from where I stay?
Am I wrong for saying that I'll choose another way?
I ain't trying to do what everybody else doing
Just cause everybody doing what they all do
If one thing I know, how far would I grow?
I'm walking down this road of mine, this road that I call home

No comments:

Post a Comment