Friday, November 29, 2019

Hey, Thanks!


Can't we just enjoy all this food without all this being thankful crap?  

But, in all honesty, the theme behind Thanksgiving, not the history is one of my personal favorites and I value the time spent in repose, pondering what it is we have to be thankful for, making our lists of gratitude either in written form or mere thought over the month of November.  In all truth, its something that should not just be done one month or even merely a day in the year, but every day, to take that pause to reflect, to notice, just what it is one is grateful for. 

Like perchance today, when I was stranded in the hills above Ashland, the truck I am driving precariously resting upon a chunk of ice that left myself and the dog by my side in the situation of either careening into the house below or sliding into the parked car near us, and then three angels emerged from the snowy woods of which I had only recently came from myself.  Okay, they were just three hippie-like citizens of Ashland, but they took their time and had the compassion to lend a hand, even after I swore profusely up and down when I slammed the tip of my pointer finger in the back door, blood spurting everywhere onto the snow.  They patiently chatted to help me out, while I dug through the mess of the truck cabin trying to find some thing to create a make-shift bandage to stem the blood so I could assist their assistance.  And, yes, I found the napkin and taped up my finger, yes, they got me safely off the mountain, as one joked with me, "You are having quite the day." To which I replied, "No, its just a moment."  But, the kindness and non-judgment in that emotional moment for me was what I needed to get back on course.  As I drove off, they chirped, "Til next time" and I responded, "Next time I help you!"

Yes, its pleasant moments like that that remind us that the idea of "the kindness of strangers" is actually a reality. 

So, back to the matter of thanksgiving, eating the grub, and all that about what being grateful.  Indeed, I truly have much to be thankful for this year, having the loving support of many a friend, a warm roof over my head, the cutest kitty ever that sleeps in my bed, being able to create art both onstage and onscreen and see its fulfillment alongside some beloved souls, being paid for what I love to do which gives me a new feeling of appreciation that I cannot fully express or comprehend as of yet, and finally finding the return of the love and magic of life and Ashland. 

But, that is not the arena of thankfulness that I want to discuss right now.  At present, my mind falls upon those individuals who came into my life and proved to be less than beneficial and in some to many ways, toxic in a variety of way.  Yes, I am truly thankful for these individuals and circumstances for showing me that I had the strength to set the boundary and could survive, that I could graciously step back, watch them fade away, and then to see the myriad of strong, loving supportive beloved souls who came about to lift me up as I had lifted them.

It is not only the moments of high achievement and success that I am grateful, but also the moments of hardship, of emotional turmoil and upheaval, that cause me to stop, look, ponder and work through, coming out the other side with a fresh understanding of my own self, my own capabilities, and self worth. 

I wish all the same for you, dear reader, and am deeply grateful for each of you taking the time to read my blogging words.


No comments:

Post a Comment