Thursday, February 7, 2019

Don't Be A Dick!



I realize that I have only been working at my artistic pursuits, primarily, for 7 years now, but in that time I have watched those that have more experience than me and have gleaned some value on what it truly means to be professional.

In short, what I have learned is, "Don't be a dick!"

The long answer, professionalism does not merely mean getting paid for your art, it goes deeper and further than that.  Those that are professional actors, as it were, Equity and/or SAG qualified, that I am friends with are some of the most honorable, respectable, and ethically minded individuals I have ever met.  They know who they are, the business they have been called to, and they work at it, treating those around them with equal respect regardless of the status level.  These are the ones I strive to be and model myself after in my artistic engagements.  In the creation and business of any artistic pursuits, it takes a village, as it were, so be sure that all feel valued within that village.

In contrast to this, there have been individuals that I have come across and have had to work alongside on various productions of plays and films that do not meet this requirement for true professionalism.  I am thankful for my previous psychology studies as it gives me insight to the inside character of such individuals, in a word, narcissistic personality disorders, and possibly some other personality disorders thrown in the mix as well.

Whew!  As some would say, in the acting world, aren't there a lot such types?

I'd answer clearly and honestly that it depends on who you, the artist, allow into your inner circle.  As artists, we are highly sensitive and emotional souls.  It is what fuels our creativity, the need to birth beauty, rising from the ashes of the pain.  Why then, would we willingly put ourselves in a place with toxic individuals that can hinder that beauty being birthed?

My personal newly discovered belief is that we all have the choice as to who we allow into our lives, into our hearts.  All too often in my past, I have allowed the toxic abusive element to reign supreme, manipulating its way into all the pathways of my soul, until the best of me is silenced, suppressed, and nearly ceases to be.  In recent times, as I have broken free from the chains of torment, releasing myself to choose the positive over the negative, I have been able to be more selective and honest into who I allow close and who I 'hold at arm's length' as it were, or rather, who I 'show the door' and let it hit them on the ass as they depart. 

I have noticed that as I welcome in more of the positive element, agree to receive love as I give, my life moves forward in leaps and bounds, the opposite effect then when I dwell in a place of toxic negativity and abuse from a variety of sources.

What I have discovered is that by choosing where I audition, lean towards in my creative pursuits, and by focusing on the positive element, my career flourishes and moves forward.  Doors are not put up to stop me, even if momentarily, I am re-directed, I always land in a more fruitful place than what I had previously imagined. 

Yes, I have been cast in a play or a film where there are these toxic types working alongside me.  In that instance, I focus on my part, choosing above all to stand for what's right, pure, good, in short, love above hate.  In those past occurrences where I have acted or worked alongside an abuser, my reputation has come through as the exact opposite as the culprit, faithful, hard-working, dedicated, and a true friend. 

How I have behaved in the most difficult situations has enhanced my overall reputation in a more positive, wide-reaching fashion than if I had succumbed to the abusive power.

So, what I have come to believe is that I do not have to sell my soul, to put up with the toxic, in order to get ahead.  In reality, that choice has not ever and will not ever help me to advance in my career, grow as an artist, or become a better human being.  In actuality, allowing myself to fall under the manipulative throes of an abusive individual only leads to their thievery of my time and energy, destroying me for their own gain.  That is not the individual that I care to align myself any longer.

 Professionalism does not merely mean getting paid for your art, it goes deeper and further than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment