Wednesday, September 17, 2014

How do I get what I want?

In rehearsal for my upcoming show, God of Carnage, I have been thinking seriously about the nature of tactics, the device used to achieve the character's overall goal in each scene and in the entire play.  I remember in my drama classes in college and acting books hearing these words which at the time seemed obscure and difficult to comprehend.  But, now with, for a lack of a better term "hands-on" experience, I am starting to see the meaning of such terminology.

I have heard from various comic actors and actresses that comedy is more difficult than drama, however, the emphasis on "living truthfully in the given circumstances" still applies and, in fact, should be even more emphasized.  Whether it be a satire, a slapstick, or a darker comedy (as in the case of the current production), the point is to not play the laughs or even to play the words to force the joke or, furthermore, to play the emotion, but, as always in acting, to play the character's intent truthfully and with focus of their entire goal.

The dramatically trained actress that I am, (in college I was given scenes from such plays as "The Seagull" by Anton Chekov and Macbeth by that English chap) and one who dwelves deeply into the backstory and psychology of each of my characters ( as seen by previous blogs) I have found that these personal resources still apply in preparation for comedy.  In my current work, I sat down with my script and listed each of the tactics for each line with the intent of reaching my character's overall ambitions.

Thanks for the Memories production of "God of Carnage" opens October 3rd at 8:00 pm at Oak Street Dance Studios in Ashland, OR.  The show stars Mark Schneider, Barbara Rains, Chris Perme, and Lia Dugal.  It is directed by Obed Medina.  Thanks for the Memories is a new theatre company founded by Peter Wickliffe.

https://www.facebook.com/events/552250238207967/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

http://tftmtheatre.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment