Sunday, January 19, 2014

My Day At Dierk's!

I have yet to write a blog about having celiac disorder or my gluten intolerance lifestyle, even though the web address on this blog says not another blog about celiacs....that is particularly because there are so many blogs out there on such content and as I thought of that idea I realized it was too common, in a word, competitive (the latter of which I don't need any more of than in my life as an actress).  Moreover, I have never fully explained why the address is that, other than the fact that my readers (are you out there?) have seen many titles and topics file through this blog from that of a "former" illness to spiritual beliefs and how they relate to the greatest TV show ever made, (well, one of them) Doctor Who, and now most recently my thoughts on community theatre, character studies and research of that fashion, and thoughts on acting in general.  But, why then this particular address?

The answer, of course, is because about two years ago I took a blood test and found out I had full blown celiac disorder.  I had suspicions of something of this for years before, even thought I was anorexic at one point but really it was the psychological revulsion my body had to foods, whether I ate them or not, not based on calorie content or weight gain.  My body instinctively knew that these foods were poison to me.

A few years back in about 2008, my dear friend, Amber, at a church told me of her diagnosis and discovery of her celiac disorder.  As she explained her journey, it lined up completely with mine in that of the anger outbursts, the crying spells, etc and that conversation stuck in my brain as a possibility until I finally got the prick and subsequent diagnosis in 2012.  (Yes, I had to wait that long for healing!)  Hitherto, I regard Amber as my angel of healing, in a sense, and think of our meeting as not merely a coincidence.  Thanks, Amber!

So, all that to say, I would like to focus this entry on my first attempt at writing a review as it were on a a restaurant I ate at while on a trip to see family and friends in California and to offer the readers a glimpse into the life in celiac-land.

When my dear friend, Oscar Not A Grouch found out I was going to be visiting, he immediately offered to take me out to brunch.  I, of course, explained my dietary restrictions and my concern over the high cost of gluten-free food.  He assured me that he would do his best to find affordable foods that I could eat and suggested we dine at the cafe his brother works at, Dierk's Midtown Cafe in Santa Rosa, CA.  I explained how sensitive I am, in that, foods that have wheat and gluten (even the very surface) have to be completely separated and sterilized from foods without.  (Every time I go out to eat, I not only have to ask the wait person for a gluten-free menu but I ask if the foods are completely isolated from other foods; sometimes I get rolled eyes and snappy remarks as if I am some sort of a prima-donna but of late I find more restauranteers that are not only very helpful but sympathetic to my very needs.)  Oscar and I agreed upon brunch and he invited our mutual friend, Jennifer, to meet us there.



Upon arriving at the cafe (after picking up Oscar Not a Grouch), his brother, Arturo came to our table, assured me he would do his best to make sure the food was the gluten-free as gluten-free can be, and even recommended the best choice on the menu, a fritata sort of thing with tons of yummy veggies, and informed me to ask for it without the regular sauce for that had gluten.  The rest of the staff that waited on us were very friendly and attentive to my needs.  When the waitress brought my meal, the chef had added some special sauces that sans gluten to substitute for the one I had to forgo.



All in all, my brunch at Dierk's was enjoyable and one of the highlights of my trip to California.

There that's my first attempt at writing about celiac's and the woes of dining out.  There most likely will be more from time to time but until then go check out Gluten-Free Girl & the Chef, for starters, or any other the many other gluten-free related blogs on the world wide web.

http://www.dierksmidtown.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment