Friday, April 13, 2012

Father's Love, or something of that nature

So, this morning in my prayer and devotional time, I happened to fall upon Matthew 6, specifically verse 9, which the Lord Jesus speaks of how we should pray.  Now, I know those who may have been exposed to Catholicism have a different viewpoint of this prayer, that is one of memorization and too structured for their taste, and that, honestly, is how I used to see it.  But, I had it explained to me, a few years ago, that gave me a fresh perspective of the idea of prayer, worship, and my relationship with, none other, than the Father God.

Now, those of you who know me personally, know I have had issues with my own father, indeed even men that could be father figures, for actually not being who I wanted them or needed them to be.  This has in fact led to some insecurities and misunderstandings with the Father God, in a sense, I am okay with the Son and the Spirit, but this Father figure, who is He, really?

So, in the past years, I have begun to look at what it means to have a Father, what my needs are for that and how this trouble with a father figure has caused trouble in relationships with men, of all ages, and even a lack of trust in friends of the same sex.  Just all around feeling rotten about the whole relationship issue, and even, slipping into some relative form of codependency, which is to say, maybe they won't hurt me or leave me or be mean to me if I do everything to please them and make them like me.  Well, that doesn't really work.

So, in my time of healing, I decided that I wanted to look at what it means to have a Father that loves me, is there for me, won't leave me.  The only true infallible father that meets these "requirements" is in fact the Father in Heaven.  As John writes in his first epistle,

"Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!" (1 John 3:1)

So, with a stretch of my faith, I allow the love of the Father to fill me and accept his gracious pouring out of love, knowing that this will not only strengthen me in all my endeavors, empower me to overcome my weaknesses, and help me, in effect, know how to rightly behave in relationships of any kind.

So, looking at the Lord's prayer, I am awakened to a new sense of understanding, a new revelation:

"Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be your name." (Matt. 6:9)

So, remember this doesn't mean that you have to pray these exact words, but really I think, to start out your prayers meditating on and being thankful for the awesome greatness and sovereignty of the Father, in a sense, being thankful for the love He so graciously gives us.  And, I say yesterday, asking in faith for these abundant blessings He has promised us.

So, today, Father, I worship you, I pray, not only in this moment, but in the moments to follow and in the days, weeks, months, years to come.  I worship you for your perfect plan for my life.  I pray that today, in all I do, I would meditate on and constantly be aware of your presence, your power, and your promises.  I thank you for all you have done for me in the past, what you have for me today, and in the future.  I surrender to you with hope and patience.  And yes, Lord, I thank you so greatfully for Jesus.  In love, Amen.

He who has ears to hear, let him hear...

No comments:

Post a Comment