Friday, October 19, 2018

The Curious Incident of Opening A Show


Tonight I open a show at Barnstormers' Theatre entitled "The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-Time".  I'm super excited about this production and it marks my first time crossing the boards in a very long time.  Last night we had our preview night and it felt amazing to be once again in front of a live audience.  I felt a sense of communion, cast and crew working together, silently communicating, to bring forth this story touching the audience with said members receiving and giving the energy back to us the performers at once.

Its a beautiful thing, this communal magic that happens once you rehearse and birth a creative endeavor, nothing compares to that of live theatre.  I imagine for a comic doing stand-up there is a similarity, that being an immediate connective relationship to the audience, or a singer in a band as well. 

In recent years, doing more film related work, I have developed more of the instant acting technique.  I do my due diligence of background work and all of that, but there is less of a focus on that in the actual performance.  I'm committed more to the moment now.  The story I have created in my mind lives within my gut and I consciously forget about it as it resides there, while performing.  I strive to stay in the moment, connecting with the other actors in the scene, feel the energy coursing through me reaching outwards from my finger tips, vibrating throughout my body, onwards to the rest of the cast, the audience, the greater beyond.

I act and create stories now for that reason alone, whether it be film or theatre, or any form of acting creativity.  I risk everything in life, sacrifice the comforts of the safe life in pursuit of my dream, to chase after my dream of achieving that artistic communal sense.  It is all I desire and the force that strengthens me, that fuels me to get up each morning and to continue the hustle towards achieving the impossible dream.


Some may call me crazy or try to discourage me, but as I'm discovering in "Make Your Mark" by Coyte G. Cooper, PH.D, all those that achieved success and made a real difference in this world for the impact of good were told or allowed to believe that they could not.  They were those that risked everything, gave up the normal arenas of life, security, broke forth from this comfortable life to allow their life purpose to become reality.

It is this reason that I continuously strive for my impossible dream, not merely for success or to see my name in lights, to feed my fragile ego, but for that desire to reach and to know the world, to learn and to see how truly beautiful the people are that populate this planet, and to share and bring their stories, their truths to live, and in the end to bring a little bit more light and healing to the world.

That is why we artists suffer and then seek to thrive, for the glory of artistic communion.

The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-Time opens tonight at Barnstormers' Theatre and runs through November 4th.  Evening shows start at 7:30 pm and matinees at 2:30.  The show is masterfully directed by Madeline DeCourcey.  Young actor, Julius Pratt gives a stellar performance as Christopher Boone, an autistic who undergoes a transforming journey to find himself and learn his value in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment