Saturday, December 19, 2015

One Final Time



Two hours later, both girls sat in a dimly lit bar and restaurant, large pizza and beer before them, with their old friends, Geoff, his new boyfriend, and Les. Les sat nearest to Ruby, discovering how often she averted her eyes from him, keeping her gaze instead on her pizza, or catching up with Geoff, getting to know his partner, Frank, anything but direct her attention to him. Tera, too, noticed all of this and searched her mind for a way to get Les and Ruby by themselves, apart from the rest so that the two of them could hopefully really look at one another. Or, in any event, Ruby could find a reason to get over her pining for the jerk.

“Camp was so long ago, it seems,” Geoff was saying.

“Not for me,” Les chipped in. “I'm like a senior counselor now.” He took a big gulp of his drink and spied Ruby looking at him before she turned away abruptly.

“Frank, these were my closest friends at Crowshaven,” Geoff went on. “You met Tera, and Les, we called him, “Trip”, do you remember why?”

“Yeah, Geoff, you made it up,” confirmed Les. “You made fun of my name--”

“Ah yes, Lester--”

“And, I didn't like it so,” cut in Les quickly.

“So, I said don't trip out or something, that's right,” laughed Geoff. “And it just stuck. And, this girl here, Frank, we called her Jewels.”

“Hi, I'm Ruby,” she smiled and extended her hand to the fair haired black man before her. Ruby wondered why he had chosen to bleach his curls blond but to each his own.

“I remember when Jess got a hold of that amazing weed, right, and brought it to camp,” Tera began. “And we all got so stoned, we snuck into the kitchen after hours to raid the fridge--”

“And Jewels ate all the peanut butter!” Les chimed in.

“Well, I was hungry!” Ruby defended herself.

“For peanut butter?” Les wanted to know, looking fully at her.

“Yeah, I really like peanut butter,” Ruby said, staring back at him and for a moment their eyes met. Tera and Les held their breath. Was this it?

“So, you still doing the song-writing?” Les finally broke the silence.

“Yeah,” Ruby said and turned back around to face her pizza. Tera continued the conversation,

“Yeah, all the time,” she confirmed. “She's got a book and goes to open mic nights, she's gotten really good.”

“Oh?” Les perked up. “When are your open mic nights?”

Ruby hesitated and then said, “Um, every Friday night, actually--”

“Well, we're leaving on Sunday, so maybe we can come and see--” Les began and Ruby cut in with,

“I'm taking time off for Christmas and writing new songs, will start in the New Year.”

That was part of it. Part of it was she knew Rob would try to show up at the bar when she performed and want to make up or something. Also, she could tell Les was trying to start something himself, and she didn't want that, not right now, couldn't stand that rejection...again. Les pulled away mentally and turned to his drink, taking a big swig, then setting it down, and staring into it.

“Hey, we need more alcohol,” suggested Tera. “Geoff, Frank, will you guys help me get them? I'll buy, if you carry.”

“Maybe we can just call a waitress over--” Geoff protested. He was comfortable, hadn't had a chance to have his pizza yet, and Frank's hand had just found his leg so he was not feeling like getting up at the moment. Tera glared at him and then nodded towards Ruby and Les. Okay, they needed to be alone, yeah, he got it. His friend, Les, needed to get a little and Ruby looked like she could use some attention too. He got the message. He grabbed Frank's hand and pulled him towards the bar. Tera followed him.

Ruby took a bite of her pizza and chewed slowly, enjoying the flavor of cheese and pepperoni, a personal favorite. She reached for the Parmesan and her hand touched Les's arm. He looked at her.

“Um,” she said between bites. “Can you please pass the Parmesan?”

Les handed it to her and watched her sprinkle it on to her remaining piece.

“Should I get you some peanut butter with that too?” he asked jokingly. Ruby glared up at him and then managed,

“Only if I was high.”

“Well, I think we can arrange something,” he leaned in closer to her and smiled. She looked at him. A moment of silence fell on them as the busying bar noise of jukebox, silverware clanging on plates, people laughing and talking swirled around them.

“Look, Les,” Ruby began, swallowing hard. “You know I...I'm not really looking for anything right now, like romantically...so I mean, can we just be friends?”

Les leaned back and looked her over. He nodded and turned to his beer and pizza.

“I mean, I just can't deal with any more, I don't know, heartbreak,” Ruby tried to explain. “Not right now.”

“Are you talking about that one night at camp?” Les wanted to know.

“Not just that,” Ruby searched her mind for something to say. “My life is a mess, I'm a mess, I'm thinking of taking off from here for awhile.”

“Going where?”

“Just out there, you know, me and my car and my guitar, like go on tour or something, see where I land,” Ruby described.

“Is that what you really want?” Les looked her over.

“See, I don't know what I want so that's why I want to do it,” Ruby explained. “You wouldn't get it.”

“Why?” Les said defensively.

“You with your college track and all that,” Ruby shot back. “I'm just not wired like that. I need, I don't know, something more.”

“But how are you going to support yourself out there?” Les asked, curiously and also protectively.


“I'll find a way,” Ruby said. “That's part of the whole mystery of it.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment