Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Not Mere Words, Intention



Back in my fundie days, there was a popular turn of phrase passed around, Christianese.  It was a word describing the fundamentalist way of speaking about their faith.  Christianese, the pastor would explain, will confuse a non-believer and make it hard for them to be converted. 

This explanation I have come to realize is an underhanded realization and expression by the pastor in saying, "We sound cray-cray to the heathens, we gots to change that."

However, as I progressed further through my fundie journey, it wasn't just the non-believers shunned by the chosen language of the so-called followers of the faith.  More and more, the way certain denomination spoke reflected that particular sect and separated from another church.   They would even go so far as to severely judge another's walk if the right words weren't said.

Why am I bringing this up now?

Because increasingly in this modern age of radical honesty and political correctness, I find those more with the liberal bent bringing to mind my former fundie friends in that its the words, not the intention that are the focus. That said, like Christianese, the politically correct liberal have taken on the same philosophy. 

Are you using the correct pronouns that one has chosen for themselves? Are you aligning yourself in any way with one who is known to be racially unjust?  Are you body and slut-shaming the victim of rape while siding with the abuser?  And, on and on it goes until a person who goofed on a certain phrase or wording is, as the kids say, cancelled.

Right.  Okay.  I am one for self-discovery and honoring one's journey in search of that.  I am one that wants to honor one's truth and I do my best to use the correct pronouns and align with their life decisions in a way that is honoring to both them, myself, and the rest of society.

But, wait, did I not use the correct wordings in my last paragraph?

What if I did? What if I didn't?

You know what? Its okay.  Why? Because I ask you sincerely and with utmost honesty, look at my heart, not the mere outward appearance.  Focus on my intention, not the mere words.  It's becoming easier and easier in the age of social media to react quickly rather than stop, listen, discuss, and try to really understand.  The result, the gap widens and we are split from true interaction that would uplift our soul's growth.

So, let's steer clear of becoming liberal fundamentalist and not get encumbered with the wordings, allowing ourselves to become swallowed up by the need to react, lest we become that which we hate, angry with our own prejudices, and even worse, isolated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment