Thursday, December 26, 2019

Thoughts From A Burgeoning Producer


Now, I know that I'm new at this whole film and media producer, running your own business type of thing, (like only 3 years) as well as working as a or towards being a professional actor, of sorts (like only 7 years).  BUT!  But, I have read a lot of books, observed a lot of the greats,ie the professionals in my local area, and spent a fair amount of time in and out of the audition circuit to understand how this whole thing works.  AND!  And, I know that all situations and circumstances are different, people have differing views on the right and wrong ways to do things, and that I still have a lot of learn (well, don't we all?)

But, here's the thing...

We recently held a casting call for our feature film, Guilt, to be filmed next summer.  At the call, we had an assortment of the usual fair of talent in my local area, mostly young twenty-something female actors, as the main cast is made up of just that.  However, we did have a smattering of male actors show up to audition for some of the smaller yet supporting parts.  Underline "supporting" because there are no small parts, as they say, only small actors.  All parts included in a screenplay should have some value and as I learned in my acting classes every character, whether the lead to the supporting, has an interesting, valuable inner life that colors his or her experience in the story.  

So, we had one male actor make a snide remark in front of the director about the role he was reading for, that the part didn't have a name, etc.  It left a bad taste in my mouth towards that particular actor.  

Here's why: as an actor myself, I have always read and experienced that the notion of being nice and respectful goes further in an audition setting than anything else.  The protocol at an audition, that I have witnessed personally, is to go in, smile, slate your name, do the reading, answer any questions that are asked, say thank you, and walk out the door, not knowing whether the part will be offered or not.  Furthermore, even if the part isn't offered this time around, the high likelihood of being offered another role based on this audition experience is ensured if one facet occurs: were you a nice person?

Its really that simple.  Did you act like a jack-ass and appear entitled or were you just all around a nice guy/girl/nonbinary human?

Over the last year, what I have experienced in my life is an influence of the toxic element of humanity that has at times left me running for the hills, or rather, the comfort of my own abode and/or those individuals whose love I have assured I can trust.  These experiences have not only left a sore spot in my heart but have left me leery in my interactions, not just personally, but also in a business mindset.  

So, what's the take away here? How can you win favor with not just me but also those you are applying for a job or auditioning for a role?

Be a nice human.  Its just that easy.  Try it sometime. 



No comments:

Post a Comment