Thursday, May 18, 2017

Cafe-Girl: A Tru Story



Act One, Scene Four

Exterior: Bar, A couple hours later.

(Tru and Willow stumble out of the bar, laughing.)

TRU

So, what now?

WILLOW

Eh, I don't know.

TRU

You got to go home? Work in the morning?

WILLOW

Kinda, sorta, yeah.

TRU

Kinda, sorta?

WILLOW

Yeah. You?

TRU

Kinda, sorta.  Yeah, I live close.

WILLOW

Cool.

TRU

Is it?

WILLOW

Kinda, sorta.

TRU


WILLOW

Yeah.

TRU

You want to walk me home or something?

WILLOW

Kinda--

TRU

Sorta.

WILLOW

Yeah.

(They both laugh.  Suddenly, Tru freezes as she notices a guy and a girl approaching the bar.  Its Miles and the Other Woman.)

Fuck.

WILLOW

What? What is it

TRU

Its my boy--I mean, my ex-boyfriend and her.  He brought her...here!  Fuck!

WILLOW

Where?

TRU

Right there, see.  No, dude, don't look.

WILLOW

Well?

TRU

Shit.  Hide me or something.

WILLOW

Eh, here...wear my hat?

(He holds out his hat to her.)

TRU

What?

WILLOW

Wear my hat?

Flashback: A younger Tru, sitting at a bar next to a guy that resembles Willow, who is also wearing a fedora similar to that of WIllow's.  He smiles at her, puts his arm around Tru, kisses her, takes off his hat, and says "wear my hat".

(Tru shakes herself.  The other woman notices Tru. Quickly, Tru grabs Willow and kisses him.  Miles and The Other Woman pass by into the bar.  Willow starts to get into the kiss, Tru opens her eyes, sees that Miles and the other woman have gone, and breaks off the kiss.)

WILLOW

Well, mixed messages much?

(Tru is lost in thought.)

Kinda, sorta?

TRU

Eh, sorry, I'm just...

WILLOW

Yeah, I gotcha.  He's a real loser anyway.

TRU

Thanks.

WILLOW

Anytime.

TRU

Walk with me?

WILLOW

Your place?

TRU

Not right away.  I need fresh air, blow off some steam.

WILLOW

Me too.

TRU

What's that?

WILLow

Eh, nothing.

TRU

Can I really wear your hat?

WILLOW

Oh, yeah, of course.

(He puts it on her head.)

Looks good.  Better on you than on me.

TRU

Ha.  You're just saying that because I let you kiss me!

WILLOW

Well actually...no, you really do look good in that hat.

TRU

Thanks.  Maybe it'll be a new look for me.

WILLOW

Hey, you gonna steal my hat?!?!

Fade into:

(Tru and Willow, walk through a park, a few minutes later, at night.  Tru walks over to a rock and sits, Willow sits next to her.  They both stare up into the sky.  After a few minutes, Tru pulls a pipe out of her pocket and begins to pack it with pot.)

TRU

You smoke?

WILLOW

Not really.

TRU

Well, you not really drink either so--

WILLOW

So tonight's the night--

TRU

To let your hair down!

WILLOW

Yeah, there is something different about tonight.

TRU

Seriously, why are you such a square?

WILLOW

I'm a square.  Really, you think I'm a square?

TRU

Eh, kinda sorta, maybe not.  I don't know, I'm trying to figure that out.

WILLOW

Well, let me know when you do because so am I.

TRU

Eh, aren't we all?

(Tru lights the pipe, sucks on it, then hands it over to Willow, who takes a hit himself. On the exhale, Tru speaks.)

So, that book you were reading earlier tonight--

WILLOW

(on the exhale of his hit)

Yeah? What about it?

TRU

What was it

WILLOW

Great Expectations.

TRU

Ha. I see. Kinda sorta fitting for a guy whose trying to find himself, right?

WILLOW

Right.  Kinda sorta.

TRU

I read it.

WILLOW

Yeah?

TRU

It didn't live up to my...expectations.

WILLOW

Ha.

TRU

No, really, it didn't.  I liked A Tale of Two Cities better.

(She takes a hit off the pipe.)

WILLOW

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

(Tru hands the pipe to him. He takes a hit.)

TRU

You read it?

WILLOW

Not yet.

TRU

Well, there are a lot more words than that.

WILLOW

I would imagine.  Its Dickens after all.

TRU

What the Dickens, really?

WILLOW

Yeah, what, you didn't know that? Huh?

TRU

Yeah, um, of course, I did. I read the god damn book, right?

WILLOW

True.

TRU

What? Oh, yeah, I see.  Yeah, I was just making a joke...you know how people swear that don't want to swear....like my dad used to say "God bless it" instead of God damnit...so like...

WILLOW

Yeah, I see.  Wait, what were we talking about?

TRU

I don't know....Dickens?

WILLOW

Yeah. What the Dickens?

TRU

Now, you see.

WILLOW

I never do this.

TRU

What?

WILLOW

Smoke pot.

TRU

Really? So, I'm like this corrupting force in your life? Nice.  Life goals reached.

WILLOW

Actually, no.  My parents...they are these big hippies...my dad actually got high with me when I was like 13...

TRU

Really? That's fucking awesome!

WILLOW

We'd drum together, play guitar...they were in this band when I was a kid...it got old really fast.

TRU

I'd kill for parents like that.  Mine were...kinda sorta strict.

WILLOW

You've really adopted the kinda sorta thing, haven't you?

TRU

Only around you, baby!

WILLOW

So, I'm baby now.

TRU

Eh, for tonight, maybe.

WILLOW

Just for tonight?

TRU

We'll see how things play out tomorrow.

WILLOW

That's a good...philosophy.

TRU

Yeah.

(They stare for a moment in silence up into the night sky.)

Ever think about...what's up there...

WILLOW

All the time.  I'm kinda sorta a sci fi geek.

TRU

Really, I hadn't noticed.

WILLOW

Really?

TRU

Well, the geek part.  But, you know, me too.

WILLOW

Yeah, what are you into? Star Trek? Doctor Who?

TRU

Eh?

WILLOW

We'll have to watch together.

TRU

Sure.  But, you ever look up and wonder why...why we do what we do, get up, go to work, buy food, eat food, shit it out, why we do it...what's the point, you know...is there really something that comes after?

WILLOW

Yeah, I think there is something I just haven't figured it all out yet.

TRU

A seeker?

WILLOW

Yeah, I guess so.

TRU

I used to be...I mean, I still am...but I used to go to this church, left a few years back...it got really...weird, really strict, you know...but I guess I still believe...in something...a higher power or something...you know?

WILLOW

Yeah.  There is definitely some sort of force out there.

TRU

Like Star Wars? You really are a sci fi geek!

WILLOW

Guilty.

TRU

I like it.

WILLOW

Cool.

TRU

Kinda sorta?

WILLOW

No, really really cool.

TRU

Nice.  Really really.

Fade into:

(Tru and Willow approach Willow's house.  Music pours out from the backyard.  Willow groans.)

TRU

What is it?

WILLOW

The parents et al are still at it...its been like an all day thing...

TRU

Don't they work?

WILLOW

They live off...social security or some shit like that...I don't know...

(They approach door.  Willow tries the door, it swings open.)

Nice. Real nice.  And safe.

TRU

Eh, its not a scary part of town.

WILLOW

Yeah, but still.  Anyway, follow me.  Quickly.

Fade into:

Interior: Willow's room.  Willow lays on his bed, Tru sits in a chair nearby.   Music is heard coming from the backyard.

WILLOW

How the hell will I ever sleep tonight? And, I got the early shift tomorrow!

TRU

Lucky you work at a cafe!

WILLOW

Ha, ha, that's funny. God, I need my own place...again.

TRU

Hey, give me your phone?

WILLOW

Why?

TRU

Because I have a phone fetish.  No, dude, I'm gonna give you my number.

(Willow pulls phone out of his pocket and hands it to Tru.  She types her number into his phone and tosses it on the bed next to him.)

Just so happens that I may be looking for a room-mate so its, like, kismet, or whatever.

WILLOW

The universe looking out for us, right?

TRU

Something like that.  Everything works out in the end.

WILLOW

Like it was meant to be...on the same psychic...web...or something...

TRU

Did you just say "psychic internet"?

WILLOW

No, but I like that.  Psychic Internet.  I like it.

TRU

Huh. You would.

WILLOW

What?

(Eddie enters, swinging the door wide open. Tru's back is to the door.)

EDDIE

Willow? I thought I heard you come in.

TRU

Willow?

EDDIE

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know you had company. Just play it safe, all right, kid?

(Willow groans and turns his head towards the wall.  Tru turns and sees Eddie.)

Wait, I know you....aren't you...isn't it...Deborah, right?

TRU

Its Tru, I go by Tru now.

EDDIE

Tru?

TRU

Yeah, just Tru.

EDDIE

Yeah, well, how've you been? Haven't seen you in...what like years since---

TRU

Um, yeah, I was just leaving--

WILLOW

Dad!

EDDIE

All right, all right, you kids have fun!

(Eddie leaves and closes the door behind him.)

TRU

I gotta go, like, now.

WILLOW

I'll call you.

TRU

Yeah, sure, that'll be...cool.

WILLOW

Kinda?

(After a moment)

TRU

Sorta.

(Tru exits the room. Willow crosses over to light switch, he lays back down on the bed.)

CLOSE UP: Willow's face smiling.

Fade into:

(Tru's apartment, Tru enters, closes door and locks it behind her.  She scans the empty apartment, slides down the door, sobbing.)

Fade out.

No comments:

Post a Comment