Friday, January 6, 2017

Nate & Laura & How They Met


Act Two, Scene Six

Interior: Living room of Nate's granny unit.  Nate sits on sofa, drinking coffee with laptop on his lap.  Doodle is eating her breakfast in the corner of the room.

After a few beats, Ashley enters wearing only a t-shirt and underwear.  She smiles embarrassed at Nate.

ASHLEY

Hi....

NATE

Hi.

ASHLEY

Um...

Nate

Yeah...you want some coffee?

ASHLEY

Coffee! Yeah, that'd be so great!

NATE

Okay.

(He gets up and moves to the kitchen.)

You like cream in it? Sugar?

ASHLEY

Please.

(She moves to kitchen, leans against counter, stares at him.)

So, um, listen...

NATE

Uh oh.

(He hands her a mug with coffee.)

Here you go.

ASHLEY

No, don't worry, I was just going to say that last night was...crazy.

NATE

Yeah, I know, right?

ASHLEY

Oh, there you go acting full of yourself...but yeah, crazy.

NATE

Acting full of myself?

(He laughs, she laughs.)

But thanks.  You aren't so bad yourself.

ASHLEY

Oh, really...

NATE

Yeah.  So, did I get the part?

ASHLEY

Excuse me?

NATE

In the show?

ASHLEY

Oh, I thought you meant a different part.  But, you'll have to talk to Samantha about that, she's the director.

NATE

Well, I'm not so sure about that, if you mean...Oh, gotcha!  A regular old fashioned audition!

ASHLEY

Yeah, no casting couch here.

NATE

So, you don't make this a regular thing, huh?

ASHLEY

No, I save it for special occasions.

Nate

Special occasions?

ASHLEY

Yeah.

NATE

And, what was the occasion last night?

ASHLEY

Um, too much to drink...

Nate

Oh, really? Is that what I was?

ASHLEY

And, I passed my test!

NATE

A celebratory lay!

ASHLEY

No, no, no.  But--

(Nate embraces Ashley.)

Wait, coffee, no!

(Nate takes her mug and sets it on counter, not letting her go.  He kisses her, she gets into it.  He pushes her against the counter.  Things start to get frantic.  Ashley pulls away, but still holds him close.)

Nate, wait, I want to say something.

NATE

Um, all right.

ASHLEY

I like you, I do, but--

NATE

Uh oh.

ASHLEY

I am just not sure about the long term.  I'm graduating and not sure where I am going to be after this year so, just not ready to get serious or anything...and I just want to take things slowly.

NATE

Slowly? And last night was---

ASHLEY

Fun.  Last night was fun--

Nate

So, right now?

ASHLEY

Its fine.  I just wanted you to know.

NATE

I got it.  Okay?

ASHLEY

Okay.

(He leans into her, they start kissing.  Nate's phone starts ringing, he ignores it.  Ashley's phone starts ringing on the counter, she looks down, sees its from Samantha.  She ignores it.)

CUTAWAY: exterior: Samantha and Laura are on the street, walking.

SAMANTHA

So, about Nate?

LAURA

Yeah, so when we were talking last night, him and I...I heard a bell.

SAMANTHA

A bell? Like where?

LAURA

Like a bell, in my head.  A bell saying, "Pay attention to this one."

SAMANTHA

What exactly do you mean? You heard a bell?

LAURA

Not literally a bell.  More like a kind of an alarm, a wake up call.

SAMANTHA

Okay? So, what, you like him?

LAURA

I don't know.  I smothered it.

SAMANTHA

You smothered a metaphoric bell?

LAURA

Basically, yeah.

SAMANTHA

Um, okay.  Well, see, I called him to schedule an audition so---

LAURA

What did he say?

SAMANTHA

Uh, I got his voice-mail.

LAURA

Oh.

SAMANTHA

But, if I cast him and you too, you okay with that?

LAURA

Why wouldn't I be?

SAMANTHA

Bell won't be distracting.

LAURA

Maybe, I don't know, probably.  But I'll adapt.

SAMANTHA

Good.  And, who knows, maybe this little project will spark a love connection?

LAURA

Like he and I will get together? Hook up?

SAMANTHA

Maybe.

Fade out.

Fade in: Nate and Ashley in bed, having sex.


Fade out.

No comments:

Post a Comment