Thursday, January 12, 2017

Nate & Laura & How They Met


Act three, Scene Two

Exterior: Early morning, Samantha and Laura, in jogging clothes, are running side by side.  They run for awhile and then collapse.

SAMANTHA

So, about yesterday---

LAURA

Yesterday?

SAMANTHA

The reading?

LAURA

Yeah, it went all right, I thought.

SAMANTHA

Yeah, but what's up with Ashley and Nate?

LAURA

Oh, right, yeah, I saw that.  I don't know.

SAMANTHA

Doesn't it make you...I don't know..curious?

LAURA

Why? I mean, he's not my boyfriend just because---

SAMANTHA

Because of the bells?

LAURA

Right.  The bells, right.

SAMANTHA

About that.

LAURA

What about it?

SAMANTHA

Well...I heard them too.

LAURA

What? For Nate?

SAMANTHA

Yeah, yesterday during the reading---

LAURA

Wait, you heard my bells or---

SAMANTHA

No, I think they were my own bells.

LAURA

So, wait, you like him now? First me, then Ashley, now you.  Dude, this guy could really score!

SAMANTHA

Yeah, right.

LAURA

Hey, I'll race you to the Farmer's Market!!!

SAMANTHA

You are on!

(They race down the street and come into the farmer's market, booths of vegetables, flowers, fruit, people shopping.  The girls slow their jog a bit.)

Oh my god, those strawberries look delish!!!

(She stops and looks them over.  Laura keeps running unaware that Samantha has stopped.  Nate kneels in front of baby carriage and talks to baby inside.  His back is to Laura, He stands and she runs into him.)

LAURA

Oh my god, I'm so sorry!!! Wait, Nate?

NATE

Oh, hi, Laura.  We have to stop meeting like this.

(Laura laughs.)

LAURA

Wait, how?

NATE

My car breaks down, you're there.  You almost knocking me into Lucy's kid---

LAURA

Oh, right, yeah not good ways.  But, then how should we meet?

NATE

I don't know, coffee?

LAURA

I love coffee!!

NATE

Me too!

LAURA

Hi Stephen!

(She bends down and looks into stroller, tickles baby.)

NATE

Just took Adam to school!

LAURA

So, you liking the new job?

NATE

Yeah, its great.  The kids are great.

LAURA

They sure are.

nate

You want kids?

LAURA

I think so, I don't know, maybe.

NATE

Not too sure, then?

LAURA

Just haven't met the right guy.

(She looks up at Nate, they exchange glances.  Metaphoric Bell appears and starts ringing.  She looks down at the baby, strokes his cheek, shakes her head.)

Coffee?

Interior: Farmer's Market Booth.

Samantha is studying the strawberries and other fruits.  Young man with green apron approaches her.

NATE2

May I help you?

(Samantha looks up at him, smiles.  A metaphoric bell starts ringing, she looks around, sees it, looks at him, lets it ring.)

SAMANTHA

Um, hi there.  These strawberries look amazing!

NATE2

Yeah.  You want to try a sample?

SAMANTHA

Oh my god, yes!

(Nate2 takes a strawberry and holds it up to her lips, she takes a bite.)

NATE2

Go ahead, take the whole thing, don't be shy.

SAMANTHA

Ummm....mmmm.

NATE2

Wait, I didn't mean it that way!

SAMANTHA

Or did you?

(Their eyes meet.)

Hi, I'm Samantha, everyone calls me Sam.

NATE2

Hi, I'm Nate.

SAMANTHA

Excuse me? Your name is Nate, really?

NATE2

That's right.

SAMANTHA

That's funny.

NATE2

Why?

SAMANTHA

Just cause.

NATE2

So, do you have a number? I'd like to share my strawberries with you.

SAMANTHA

Of course, I'd love that.  Here you got a pen and a piece of paper.

(He hands her a piece of paper and she writes down her number, hands it back to him.)

Here.  And, I think I'll take a basket of strawberries, please!  You know, save them for later!

NATE2

On the house!

(Samantha pulls money out of her bra.)

SAMANTHA

Sure about that?

NATE2

What other wonders might I find?

SAMANTHA

You'll just have to wait and see!

(Samantha picks up strawberries and turns and walks away, looks back at him and mouths, "Call me".)

Interior: Coffee booth at Farmer's Market.  Nate and Laura stand in line together.

LAURA

So, I've got a question for you.

Nate

Uh oh, okay, what is it?

LAURA

So, you and Ashley are?

NATE

Um...we hang out sometimes.

LAURA

Yeah? Hang out?

NATE

Yeah, its nothing....

LAURA

Serious?

NATE

No.

LAURA

Okay, then.

(They approach counter.  Cute flirty barista girl approaches.)

Barista

Hi there!  Oh my god, he's so cute.

NATE

Thanks.

Barista

I just think its so sweet to see a young couple out with their little one---

LAURA

Um, we're not, I mean--

NATE

No, I just take care of this little guy.

BARISTA

Oh, I see.

NATE

Yeah, we are just...friends.

Laura

Right.  Just friends.

BARISTA

Oh, well, I just thought...never mind.  So, what can I get for you two then?

NATE

What do you want, my treat?

LAURA

Really? Gee, thanks.

BARISTA

So???

LAURA

Um, latte, yeah.

NATE

Make that two please.

BARISTA

And, for the litte one?

NATE

Please no coffee for him!!

BARISTA

We have hot chocolate for the little ones.

NATE

Um...sure why not?

BARISTA

Okay, that will be 6.99.

(Nate hands her his card.  She swipes it and winks at him. Laura and Nate move Stephen to the side of the booth.)

LAURA

I think she likes you.

NATE

Who?

LAURA

Her.

Nate

The barista? God, I hope not.

LAURA

Why? You have something against her, you don't like blondes, what?

NATE

Jessica is a barista.  That's all.

LAURA

Oh, well they can't all be that bad.

NATE

Yeah, maybe not.  But, I'm not...I'm not really looking right now, I guess.  You know, the drill.

LAURA

Yeah, right.  The drill.

(Barista places two lattes and small hot chocolate before them. Laura hands him his and holds up hers.)

To the drill!

NATE

To the drill!

No comments:

Post a Comment