Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Working It Out---Facing Your Inner Demons Through Drama

I've been thinking abut this notion of method acting versus representational acting and the very fact is that I was trained in method acting.  Furthermore, it was easy for my teachers, mentors, method actors themselves, to train me in that fashion because I was already that time of person, one with emotional depth and transparency, an in-built method actress, as it were.  I'm not afraid to go to those scary places and in reality in need of using them, on the stage or in character-type work.

I understand the representational style of actors who do not see the point of 'dredging up the past' and do not disparage them their "method".  I can see their point about it being seemingly dangerous to rely on past psychological trauma, or what it may be.

But, in truth, for me, after years of intensive therapy and recovery, I am not afraid to examine the scary, painful parts of myself, and apply it to the character already present in the text.  Once I find those useful, self-resources, not only does it become a sense of self-discovery as I bring the "pain" or "issue", to physicality and "work it out through fear and trembling".  And, in that "working out", the issue becomes null and void, I find healing, freedom, and true salvation.  (Philippians 2:13)

This weekend I make my debut as a dancer at the Oak Street Studio's presentation of "Moment in Time".  I play a "demon" and get to wear a fun and not to scary African mask.  At first, I was focused more on the dance, however be it, mostly improvisational.  But, this week, my director, Roz Schrodt, started asking us to really define our characters.

Thinking of the idea of "living truthfully in the imaginary circumstances" and while spending time with my altar-ego, ie my mask, I discovered emotions primal welling up of me, those of rage and angry determination.  Through the aspect of physically dancing the character, my she-coyote became sexual in her quest for power, hiding her feelings of rage and fear.

Oak Street Studio presents "Moment in Time" this weekend, Saturday, June 14th at 8 pm and Sunday, June 15th at 2:00.  Tickets are ten dollars in advance or twelve dollars at the door.  Rosalind Schrodt is a local dancer and instructor in Ashland, OR.

https://www.facebook.com/events/698513416932452/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming


No comments:

Post a Comment