Friday, November 1, 2013

Finding A Place to "Just Stay...."

I am Kira Jones, (my maiden name).  I am 27 and a young mother of two, with another on the way.  Some have called me strong and spirited, but for my part, I just do what I have to do based on what life throws my way.

I was born in the Midwest in the state of Kansas, in a small conservatively minded town with one school for all grades, one firehouse but no police station except the sheriff who came in from the county.  An unincorporated town too small for a mayor but too big for its britches, the locals say.  

I was born into a fundamentally Christian family with strict rules that restrict even the ability to breathe freely.  I am the oldest of the four younger brothers which I pretty much raised.

I left right after high school (I thought that was my only way out of there).  Spontaneously, the night of graduation, got my diploma, walked off stage, threw my cap, and rode off on the back of a harley owned by a guy named Biff, with nothing but a backpack full of clothes, a toothbrush, a wad of cash, and my favorite book, "Walden", and a sleeping bag.  

We went to Napa, California where Biff abandoned me after impregnating me.  I aborted that child...because I had to...but it left an aching need in my heart for a family--

I worked as a migrant worker and a cashier in a local deli and occasionally took some classes at a local Junior college but dropped out because the classes were too dull, not to mention, too easy.  I experimented with anything offered to me from pot, mushrooms, LSD, or different sexual partners of both genders.

I met my ex-husband at a coffee shop on a break from work.  He was with all his friends.  We started hanging out and he gave me a place to stay when I got kicked out of my place.  He was studying to be a cop, which was a strange occurrence in my circle of friends.  We married in under a year and when he had finished his schooling we moved to Oregon.  He began his career and shortly after we had our first child.

...In that first year of marriage, there was a lot of screaming and throwing of things, I didn't leave at first because of the pregnancy and then the baby and besides I didn't know where I could go, thought it would somehow work itself out...but when the child was two, I could no longer take it and I found a way out...

I am searching for a place to land, a place where I can "just stay"...

If you want to learn more about me, look for me in the upcoming local film written and directed by Dru Haskin, "The Last Tipi Village."  (Filmed by Ross Williams & Kristopher Ballard)


No comments:

Post a Comment