Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Nate & Laura; How They Met Season Two, Episode One



Episode One:

ACT ONE, SCENE ONE

Exterior: Street

(Laura, in jogging clothes and hair pulled into ponytail, runs down the street.  She's got her headphones in and is lost in thought.)

Flashback: Laura and Nate on Kiyah's porch kissing

(Laura shakes herself, runs a little harder.  A love song comes on and Laura is lost again in thought, thinking about Nate.  She smiles, stops to catch her breath, and is out in front of a hair salon.)

Pov: Laura looking in window at salon

3/4 wide: Laura contemplating a hair change.

(She tugs a little at her pony tail and her hair falls out and around her face. She runs her hands through it, nods to herself, decidedly, and enters salon.)

Interior: Hair Salon

An older woman approaches Laura. She's fairly thin, stylish, with jet black dyed hair.

Hair Stylist

Hi.  You're up early, aren't you?

Laura

Yeah, out for a run. Sorry for the grungy look.

Hair Stylist

Its fine.

LAURA

I didn't think you'd be open.  I mean, this is kind of an impulse thing, I guess.

HAIR STYLIST

Early bird gets the worm, eh? So, impulse thing, major life change? New love interest?

LAURA

Something like that, I guess, yeah.

HAIR STYLIST

Juicy.

LAURA

Yeah, I guess so.

HAIR STYLIST

So you want to make an appointment for, something to fit this major change?

Laura

Yeah.  Something cute and sassy, maybe redder, yeah.  That's how I feel.

(Hair stylist, looking over Laura's hair.)

HAIR STYLIST

I think we can do something like that. I've got some magazines you can look through, for inspiration. When would you like to make the appointment?

LAURA

Well, I work from 11-4 today.

HAIR STYLIST

So, 4:30?

LAURA

Yeah! That'd be great.

HAIR STYLIST

Okay, see you then.

cut to:

Exterior: Hair salon

(Laura, leaving hair salon, carrying a few magazines.  She stops to put on her headphones, adjust herself.)

Pan: Around the corner, we see Nate pushing Stephen in stroller

Nate turns the corner and sees Laura, head bent over, fiddling with ipod.

Nate pushes the stroller towards her, tentatively, slight smile on his face.

Nate

Um, Laura, hi.

Laura looks up, smiles nervously, unsure of what to do.

LAURA

Hi Nate.

NATE

How are you? I haven't seen you since, um,

Laura

Yeah, sorry, I just...have been thinking.

Nate

Okay.

LAURA

Its just...I mean, Scott, my ex, he isn't a bad guy and this, you, caught me unaware, I didn't plan...

Nate

Sometimes it works like that.

Laura

What does?

Nate

Love.  Like a bell goess off and--

Laura

A bell.

Nate

Yeah, a bell.

(Their eyes meet, they walk in silence for a moment.)

LAURA

Bell ringing for you?

NATE

Loudly, yes.

LAURA

Mine too.

NATE

You have a bell too?

LAURA

Oh yeah.

NATE

I guess that explains the ringtone.

LAURA

Oh yeah.  I tried to smother it because...

NATE

Yeah.

LAURA

Because I'm weird.

NATE

Yeah.

LAURA

Hey!

NATE

I'm kidding.

LAURA

When I let the bell just be...a bell...its so easy. To talk to you.

NATE

Be with you.

Laura

Yeah, and it kind of freaked me out though.

NATE

I can see that.

Laura

I mean, that never happened before to me, you know. See someone you like or whatever and a bell goes off.

Nate

Yeah, true.

LAURA

I mean, did that ever happen to you?

NATE

I don't think...no, it hasn't.

LAURA

So, kinda scary, huh?

Nate

Scary?

LAUra

Scary, like weird.

Nate

Yeah, it can be.

LAURA

So, I just didn't know what to do, what it meant.

NATE

Why?

Laura

Why what?

Nate

Why does it have to be explained or whatever? I mean, life is like that, right, its unexplainable and we waste so much of it, trying to figure it all out, 'what does it all mean,' you know, why can't we just be, like, just let a bell be a bell.

Laura

Let a bell be a bell.

Nate

Yeah, no explanations or trying to figure it all out.  Just, let it ring.

LAura

Let it ring.

Nate

Let it ring, let it ring.

(They both laugh.)

Coffee?

LAURA

Yeah, I'd like that.  I've got to get home soon though, get ready for work.

Nate

Got it.  Well, this is my treat.  Get you ready for the day.

Laura

I like that.

(They walk down the street, towards the grower's market and approach the coffee stand at the market.)


BARISTA

Hi there! What can I get for you? Oh, its you again!

NATE

Yeah, its us.  How are you?

BARISTA

Doing well. How are you?

NATE

Doing wonderful.  We're letting bells be bells.

(He reaches for Laura's hand, she takes it.  They smile at each other and stand there holding hands.)

BARISTA

Ah, I see.  So, what do you want then?

NATE

Um, two lattes please?

LAURA

Yeah, I'd love a latte.

(Nate hands the barista his debit card, she takes it.)

BARISTA

Right. I'll get right on that.

(Barista starts preparing drinks. Nate turns to Laura.  He smiles at her, she smiles at him.)

Nate

So, you getting your hair cut or something?

Laura

Yeah, today after work.

Nate

Nice.  What are you going to do?

Laura

Something different, a change.

Nate

I like you the way you are, I mean, I bet whatever it is, it will look nice.

LAUra

Thanks, Nate.

Nate

So, after work?

Laura

Yeah?

Nate

You doing anything? You want to hang out or---

Laura

Or?

Nate

I don't know.  Grab a drink or something?

Laura

I'd love to.  Oh crap, I'm sorry I can't.

NATE

Oh, okay.

LAURA

No, I mean, I would love to.  But, I'm getting the rest of my stuff from...from my old place...and I have to deal with....all of that.

NATE

All right.

LAUra

I'm really sorry.  Rain check?

Nate

Of course.

Laura

I'll call you or text you, okay?

nate

I'd like that.

Laura

I don't live far.  You want to walk me home?

Nate

Walking a girl home. Classic.  Can I carry your books too?

(Laura laughs.)

Laura

Wait, why?

NATE

Like in the 1950s or whatever, guy would walk a chic home, carry her books, court her and stuff.

Laura

Oh, right. Well, shall we?

Nate

We shall.

(They walk away off camera.)

Cut to:

Exterior: Samantha and Laura's house.

Samantha and Heath exit.  Heath has a backpack and Samantha carries purse.  She smiles at Laura and Nate.

SAMANTHA

Well, hello there, Nate.  Nice to see you.

Nate

Hi, Sam.  And, whose this?

SAMANTHA

This is my Heath.

Nate

Hi there, Heath. I'm Nate.

(Heath hides behind his mom.)

SAMANTHA

Sorry, he can be shy sometimes.

Nate

It's all right.

Laura

Hey to you too, Samantha.

SAMANTHA

Well, you're my room-mate, Laura.

LAURA

On your way out?

SAMANTHA

Just dropping of the kid here at school, then heading into work. So, you two have the place.

(She winks at Laura, Laura ignores it.)

LAURA

He was just...walking me home, a la 1950s.  I've got to get ready for work now.  Out of this sweaty garb.

Nate

You look all right to me.

LAURA

Thanks.

(Samantha's phone buzzes, she looks at it. Samantha silences phone and slips it into her pocket,smiling silently.  She looks across the table at Laura, winks.)

LAURA

Yes, Samantha?

SAMANTHA

What?

LAURA

You winked?

SAMANTHA

Oh no, I didn't...I mean.

(She winks again.)

LAURA

You just did it again.

SAMANTHA

Look, can we talk later at work? Its important.

Laura

Okay.

NATE

I'll see you later, okay, Laura?

LAUra

I'll text you.

Fade into:

ACT ONE, SCENE TWO

Interior: Kiyah and Samantha's boutique

(Samantha and Laura at work, folding clothes, etc.  Samantha hands Laura her phone.)

LAURA

What's this?

SAMANTHA

Its my cellphone, duh.  I got a text from Nate, my Nate.  Thanks for making it awkward back there.  Weirdo.

LAURA

Well, you winked at me. Since when do we wink?

SAMANTHA

Since when do we not wink!  Its a code for "I got a secret", kind of thing.  Everyone knows that.

LAURA

Well, I can't ever recall a time when you ever winked at me personally--

SAMANTHA

Can you not? Look, he texted me.  He actually texted me.

LAURA

So, what did he say?

SAMANTHA

Can't you read?

LAURA

I don't know how to open your text messages, what's your password?

SAMANTHA

Oh, god dammit!

(She takes phone, punches in password, hands phone back to Laura.)

LAURA

"Hey, sorry its been so long. I've been busy--Nate."

(Laura looks over at Samantha and hands phone back to him.)

SAMANTHA

So?

LAURA

So, he's been busy?

SAMANTHA

Yeah, and he's sorry and...and...and...Laura, he's into me too.  He's into me!  We both have our Nates!

LAURA

What?

SAMANTHA

Today and I saw you...at Kiyah's.

LAURA

Oh, yeah, that.

SAMANTHA

Wait, what the hell?

LAURA

Yeah, I don't know.

SAMANTHA

Laura!!

LAURA

I just, maybe, I rushed into things.  And, I mean, just because he texted you doesn't mean you "have" him.  A person can't really "have" another--

SAMANTHA

Hey, just let me "have" this, okay? Just because you got your weird hang-ups and stuff!

LAURA

All right, all right.

SAMANTHA

Yeah, and what's wrong with you anyway? You looked pretty happy with Nate--

LAURA

Yeah, I guess I...just don't want to ruin things...

SAMANTHA

Ruin things? How so?

LAURA

I don't know.  And, I just don't want to rush into things, fall hard, like I always do, and end up getting fucked over in the end. You know?

SAMANTHA

Yeah, yeah.  Its always a risk.

(She looks down at her cellphone.)

Well, now I'm good and depressed.  Thanks.

LAURA

No problem.

(They hug.)

So, how is Kiyah? Have you talked to her?

SAMANTHA

She's dealing...we talked last night on the phone. I just told her to take a few days off.  I guess, she took my advice, because Nate's looking after the kids.

LAURA

Good for her.

SAMANTHA

Yeah, agreed.  And, she has enough on her plate dealing with Eddie and all the legal shit of divorce, restraining order, blah blah blah.

Laura

So, she did it? Got a restraining order?

SAMANTHA

Yeah. And, I'm super duper proud of her too.  And, her mom was super helpful too, went with her to the cop shop and everything.

Cut to:

Fade into: Ashley, waking up in her dorm room bed

She sits up, groggy eyed, then suddenly runs to bathroom.

CUTAWAY: Ashley bending over toilet, vomiting.

Cut to:

Interior: Kiyah and Samantha's boutique

LAURA

So, how's Ashley?

SAMANTHA

You know, I haven't heard from her in a few days, so I don't know. I'm guessing she's fine.

Cutaway: Ashley at College Cafeteria, with a tray at a food bar.

(Ashley surveys the food types.  Server waits for her to tell him what she wants, she stares growing more and more green.)

SERVER

You gonna order something or just admire the arrangement?

(Ashley looks over food, grabs her mouth to stop vomit, turns and runs off hurriedly, leaves tray.)

Cutaway: Ashley running to bathroom, opens door, runs in.

CLOSE UP: Bathroom door

Cutaway: bathroom, Ashley's feet peeking out under stall door.

(Ashley is heard vomiting in stall.)

CUTAWAY:Server

SERVER

Well, that's a fine how do you do?

(Server continues work, serving other customers.

Act One, Scene Two

Exterior: Kiyah's back porch.

(Kiyah sits on chair, sipping mug of tea, staring into space.  Nate3 appears over the fence and smiles at her, sympathetically.)

NATE3

Kiyah.  How are you?

KIYAH

Nate? I didn't know you were back.  Just visiting?

NATE3

No back, for now.  Me and the wife...we're no more.

KIYAH

Sorry to hear that.

NATE3

It's all right.  But, how are you?

KIYAH

How do you mean?

NATE3

Kiyah, I heard, I saw.

KIYAH

Yeah, I bet.

NATE3

So? You okay?

(Kiyah shrugs.)

Mind if I come around?

KIYAH

Sure.

(Nate3 dissappears off camera.)

3/4 Close up: Kiyah, sitting, drinking tea, contemplating

(Nate3 appears into frame.)

OVER THE SHOULDER:Nate3 to Kiyah

(Nate3 sits by Kiyah.)

NATE3

Hey.

KIYAH

Hi. It is good to see you.

NATE3

You know, if you need anything...

KIYAH

Thanks.  I'd just like to sit here.

NATE3

You want me to leave?

KIYAH

No.  I like the company but I just want to sit here, I don't want to...have to try...or think too much.  Just sit and be.

NATE3

Okay, I can do that.

KIYAH

Thanks.  So, how are you?

NATE3

Picking up the pieces bit by bit.  My wife...eh...ex-wife...decided she didn't want to be married anymore...to me anyway.  She's off with some rich bigwig, some successful millionaire guy.  Guess I didn't know her that well after all?

KIYAH

You'll find someone, I believe that.

NATE3

You do?

KIYAH

Yeah, I do.  Isn't that weird? That I still believe in love?

Nate3

No, that's a good thing.  A very good thing.  It means you still have hope.  And, that's your strength.

KIYAH

Do you? Still have hope?

NATE3

Somedays I do, somedays its all despair and moaning, sobbing.

KIYAH

Same.

NATE3

So, you got a new manny?

KIYAH

Yeah, you met...um...Nate?

NATE3

Did we ever?

(They both laugh.)

What ever happened to...uh...your last nanny?

KIYAH

Ashley? She's around still.  Just got too busy with school.  Senior year.

NATE3

Oh.  What's next for her?

KIYAH

I couldn't tell you.  But, one thing I know, she'll figure it out.  That girl is strong, stronger than the rest of us.  Don't know if she knows it yet completely?

NATE3

She is that.

(Nate walks up towards his unit, pushing Stephen in stroller.)

Kiyah and Nate3

Hey, Nate!

NATE

Oh, wow, hi. Didn't see you there?  How are you, Kiyah? Nate?

KIYAH

Good. Is he sleeping?

Nate

Yeah, just.

KIYAH

I know I said I needed a breath today but can you bring him to me? I need to see him, hold him. Is that okay?

Nate

He's your kid.

(Nate pushes stroller to back porch.  Kiyah gets up and gingerly scoops Stephen up from stroller, sits and rocks him softly singing to him.)

That's so...perfect.

NATE3

Yeah.  Makes you hope that, well, you know.

NATE

Yeah, yeah, it does.

Fade out.

ACT ONE, SCENE Three

Exterior: Hair Salon

(Laura exits, with new hair style, smiling, she runs her hair through hand, then walks confidently forward.)

Cut to:

Exterior: Across the street from Planned Parenthood

Wide: Ashley contemplating crossing

POV: Ashley looking over at Planned Parenthood

CLOSE UP: Ashley's face, contemplating

3/4 wide: Ashley shrugs, hugs herself, and exits away from Planned Parenthood

Act One, Scene Four

Exterior: Scott & Laura's condo

(Laura approaches, looking very cute and confident.)

OVER THE SHOULDER:as Laura approaches the door.

(Cautiously, she knocks. Scott answers. He is dressed very neatly, behind him the house is organized and clean, with cardboard boxes of Laura's belongings stacked neatly.)

Laura

Hi, Scott.

Scott

Hi.  Laura.  Come in.

LAUra

I can't stay long.

Interior: Scott and Laura's living room

SCOTT

You look great.  Love the new hair.

Laura

Thanks.  I needed a change...

Scott

You needed a change.  Huh.

LAUra

Scott, I'm sorry, I'm really really sorry.

SCOTT

I'll do anything, Laura.  I'll change.  I already have.  Dad said he could get me a job at the family business.

LAUra

But, Scott, that's not...

SCOTT

Its what I need to do...for you.

LAUra

Don't.  Don't do it for me.

SCOTT

Why not, Laura? I love you.  Do you love me?

LAUra

I do, Scott, I really do.  But, its just that....

Scott

What is it, Laura?

LAUra

It isn't...enough.

Scott

What are you saying?

LAUra

I need to...go.

Scott

Stay, Laura, stay please.

LAURA

I can't.

SCOTT

Why not, Laura? I don't understand.  Help me to understand.

LAURA

I...just...I need to know who I am.  I need to...I lost me...I need to see myself.

SCOTT

I'll wait for you, Laura.  I'll do whatever it takes.  Just don't...don't give up on me, okay?

LAURA

I just don't know...

SCOTT

Promise me you'll try?

Laura

I'll try.

Fade out.

Act One, Scene Five

Interior: Ashley's dorm room bathroom.

(Ashley sits on toilet, in front of her is pregnancy test.)

Wide: Ashley looking at pregnancy test, waiting

Pov: Ashley looking at pregnancy test

Camera moves in jolts towards pregnancy test until its on a close up.

Wide: Ashley, sighs, then reaches for it. She looks it over, gasps loudly, groans.

CLOSE UP: Ashley's face

ASHLEY

Fuck.

Act One, Scene Six

Exterior: Kiyah's front yard

Nate and Adam walk hand in hand up to the front door

Interior: Kiyah's living room.

(Nate enters living room, Kiyah is sitting on the floor playing with Stephen.  Adam runs up and hugs his mommy, then back into his room.)

NATE

Care for a little company?

KIYAH

Yeah, I guess.

(Nate crosses and sits next to her.)

NATE

You gonna be okay tonight? I can stay if you--

KIYAH

Um, look, I don't want to, I mean, I'm still married, I'm flattered though--

NATE

Wait, what? No, I meant as a friend, I'd stay on the couch, if anything.

KIYAH

Oh, oh.  I'm sorry.  I guess I'm rusty at this, eh, the dating thing, never was any good at it though, no big surprise there.

NATE

Hey, stop that, okay?

KIYAH

What?

NATE

Stop putting yourself down, okay? You are awesome, okay? I haven't known you that long except for the emails that got me here and these last few days but, Kiyah, you own your own business, you run it and this house, you are an awesome mom--

KIYAH

Really? An awesome mom?

NATE

Yeah, the kids love you! They really do!

KIYAH

Really? Thanks, Nate.

NATE

Yeah, Eddie's just...just a big loser and creep, if you ask me.

KIYAH

Heh.

NATE

Sorry I...I guess I don't know what to say either.

KIYAH

No, its fine.  You want something? Glass of wine?

(She rises, picking up Stephen and entering into the kitchen.)

NATE

Sure.  Need help with anything?

(He rises and follows her in the kitchen.)

OVER THE SHOULDER:follow Nate into the kitchen

KIYAH

No, just let me have this.

Nate

Sorry.

KIYAH

No, not like that.  I'm just, I need this.  I need to learn how to do stuff...by myself. Whatever that is.

NATE

Of course.

(Kiyah hands Nate a glass of wine.)

To New Beginnings?

KIYAH

New beginnings.

(They clink glasses.)

Fade out.


No comments:

Post a Comment