Tuesday, October 27, 2015

"Type" this!

There's been a lot of talk lately amongst actors and actresses about their "type".  This is when actors consider what celebrities they resemble in order to better market themselves in the entertainment industry.  The theory behind this is that this will help one further develop their craft by keeping in mind what the casting directors, producers, and whatnot are seeing in one's self.



I can see some benefits of this and I have found myself analyzing other actors I see on TV or in the movies, for how they resemble me and what kind of roles they get in 'the industry'.  But, I also see a pretty blatant danger in this thinking.  At least for myself as an artist.

I think it can take away from the actual hard-work one needs to put in to honing their craft and developing their own unique talents and skills.  It also removes the aspect of "play" from acting and makes it all about the business side of things.  Losing that sense of "play", sense of developing one's inner self in art, takes away the whole reason for joining the acting world, not to mention takes away the joy of living, breathing, getting up in the morning.

So, go ahead and analyze your types but don't stop working on your own self, for we all have unique talents and skills that set us apart from others.  After all, the acting world and entertainment industry may be a business, but it is also an art.


No comments:

Post a Comment